Aug 16, 2013, 11:39 AM EST
Flyers fans got quite the scare yesterday when the club announced that captain Claude Giroux had undergone finger surgery to repair tendon damage that he’d suffered while playing golf Thursday in Ottawa.
According to the team’s statement, Giroux’s golf club “shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks.”
In an interview with the Daily News, Giroux explained exactly what happened.
“It was just a freak thing,” he said. “I was taking a swing and my club hit a little behind the ball. The shaft of the club shattered, but my hand kept going on the swing and the shattered part went right into my finger.”
The 25-year-old went on to say the injury is “more frustrating than you even know,” as he believed his offseason training was going extremely well.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)