Giroux explains how golf injury occurred

Aug 16, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT

claudegirouxcgetty Getty Images

Flyers fans got quite the scare yesterday when the club announced that captain Claude Giroux had undergone finger surgery to repair tendon damage that he’d suffered while playing golf Thursday in Ottawa.

According to the team’s statement, Giroux’s golf club “shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks.”

In an interview with the Daily News, Giroux explained exactly what happened.

“It was just a freak thing,” he said. “I was taking a swing and my club hit a little behind the ball. The shaft of the club shattered, but my hand kept going on the swing and the shattered part went right into my finger.”

The 25-year-old went on to say the injury is “more frustrating than you even know,” as he believed his offseason training was going extremely well.

“This really isn’t a big deal, though,” he said. “Something like this isn’t going to hold me back.”
  1. jcmeyer10 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yah, I had a 5-wood fall apart on me during a swing. To be fair though that was after I took a swing into a tree with it. :D

2. melidoperez - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

When asked about the incident, Peter Laviolette called Giroux “the best golfer in the world.”

• f2maestro - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Well played. +1

3. jpelle82 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

now if he had flipped a golf cart and broke something, i’d be concerned. this is much ado about nothing, i’m sure he wont be complaining when he gets to skip some OTA’s.

4. alicesrightfootesq - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Giroux on surgically repaired finger: “This is from Crosby.”

• hockey412 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I was about to say at least he didn’t blame this one on Crosby.

5. jacketsfan7 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

As a pens fan , this guy is tougher than Crosby , easily , gonna miss this guy during the season

• hockey412 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM

As a pens fan, no one’s buying that you’re a pens fan.

• steelpenbucs87 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I’m looking for a name that will accurately portray my Penguins fandom…. hmmmm…..

I know! Jacketsfan7!

• isithockeyseasonyet - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM

As a flyers fan, well done boys, I got a kick out of that one

6. c1md6 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

You would think he’d have a better golf swing with all the golfing experience he gets at the end of the regular season.

• hockey412 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Some guys just can’t locate their balls, no matter how hard they try.

• sdlare53 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Are you accusing him of taking roids?

7. brymck1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

If the shaft shattered, it was graphite. He was either playing a wood or an iron. If he was playing a wood and hit behind the ball, he’s a terrible golfer. If he was playing an iron and managed to shatter the shaft by hitting behind the ball, he’s a terrible golfer and he’s a nancy-boy for playing graphite-shafted irons.

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

did this come up on GolfTalkCentral too? or are you a steel shaft salesman?

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM

He got dat senior flex.

• narfmoo12 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Do you shoot a 72 each round? You’ve never miss-hit a golf ball? Apparently you’re just an expert about shaft.

8. ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

lol who’s taking bets on how many regurgitated jokes from last night’s post we’ll see? we’ve already got a few.

9. pavelfitzgerald - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Clearly Girous is a terrible golfer. The only clubs he should be using with graphite shafts are woods, & if you hit the ground before you hit the ball with a wood that is brutal.

If Giroux is any good his irons would be steel shafts since graphites become too whippy once you obtain a decent amount of club head speed. Graphite irons are for new golfers & old ones.

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

feel like i’ve read this same exact information, worded slightly differently, somewhere before. hmmmm…

• nj666 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I dont think he cares how bad he is at golf, he’s good at hockey and I think thats all that matters to him.

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

well… that wouldn’t be true if this injury had been a bit more serious.

here’s a game. which is more dangerous? Giroux with a golf club, or Craig Anderson with a knife?

10. Lupy Nazty Philthy - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He probably broke his finger in a fist fight with Bob Barker.

11. ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

lets just hope we get more G-playing-pong pictures out of this one. http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b016305b9539c970d-800wi

12. viking28 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Foooorrreeeeed!

13. joewilliesshnoz - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

You’d think he would be a scratch golfer by now, what with all the extra time that he has to play with, during the off season.

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM

you, sir, just won me a bet. hell, you took a joke not only from last night’s post…. but from the very one you commented on. i say, well done.

14. blackheart78 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Sure G. :P

15. pitpenguinsrulez - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I guess he finger banged Hartnell a bit too much to this summer

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM

strange. you said it the first time and it wasn’t funny. you’d think by the second time, your “sense of humor” may have settled in with us a bit, and it might be funny. but nay…. it wasn’t. hm.

16. ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM

you can tell it’s off-season by reading the horrible, horrible jokes and sh** talk in the PHT comment sections.

the only one that was funny was the one up top by melidoperez.

• ibieiniid - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM

oh jcmeyer too. that one was good.

17. 2qswing - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

yah, not buyin it. this was a golf course temper tantrum gone bad. I’ve had a few myself but never broke clubs. My guess is the he doesn’t have cheap clubs, they are not going to break apart by “hitting a little behind the ball”. People do that all the time without these results. More likely whacking a tree in anger after a nasty hook

• narfmoo12 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I bet a professional hockey player with an awesome slap shot is able to swing a club a lot harder than you. Your little girl swings won’t break a club but Giroux’s would.

18. chrisk61 - Aug 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i still fantasize that giroux landed that uppercut to cyndi’s soft jaw (pre-break but still soft) when they fought in first rd match up 2 seasons ago.

cyndi would be DONE and giroux would forever be a philly sports hero.

19. pavelfitzgerald - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You can tell ibieiniid is unemployed by the amount of time he has to comment on EVERY post

• ibieiniid - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM

oooooooooor i work on a computer. moron.

20. banger60 - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

i’m really scratching my balls on this one, sorry guys, couldn’t help myself!

21. rendy09o - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I quit engaging at shoprite and currently I build $35h – $80h…how? i am operating online! My work did not precisely build Pine Tree State happy therefore i made a decision to require an opportunity on one thing new… when four years it absolutely was therefore onerous to quit my day job however currently i could not be happier.go to this site home tab for more detail …. http://WWW.BAY96.COM

22. frankiesweep - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I know how it is… I often hit the dirt behind the ball too…

23. proudliberal85392 - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Playing here in Phoenix could’ve prevented this. Out here, Giroux would have hit soft sand and maybe a scorpion instead of solid earth that broke the club.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D