Aug 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After an impressive rookie season, Columbus’ Dalton Prout is going to have to wait to show what he’s made of this season.
The Blue Jackets announced Prout would miss the start of preseason after undergoing abdominal surgery. GM Jarmo Kekalainen cleared up what was going on with the 23-year-old defenseman.
“Dalton has been experiencing some soreness for a number of weeks and after initial tests indicated a muscle strain, we discovered this week that there was actually a small tear and that surgery would be his best option,” said Kekalainen. “They typical recovery time for an injury like this is six weeks, so our hope is he will be ready by the start of the regular season.”
That six week timeline times out to put him back in action in late September, just in time for the start of the regular season.
The question for Prout is how this affects his ability to compete for a starting job. With four spots likely spoken for (Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, and Nikita Nikitin) he’ll be up against 2012 first-round pick Ryan Murray and Tim Erixon for the final two spots.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)