Aug 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After an impressive rookie season, Columbus’ Dalton Prout is going to have to wait to show what he’s made of this season.
The Blue Jackets announced Prout would miss the start of preseason after undergoing abdominal surgery. GM Jarmo Kekalainen cleared up what was going on with the 23-year-old defenseman.
“Dalton has been experiencing some soreness for a number of weeks and after initial tests indicated a muscle strain, we discovered this week that there was actually a small tear and that surgery would be his best option,” said Kekalainen. “They typical recovery time for an injury like this is six weeks, so our hope is he will be ready by the start of the regular season.”
That six week timeline times out to put him back in action in late September, just in time for the start of the regular season.
The question for Prout is how this affects his ability to compete for a starting job. With four spots likely spoken for (Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, and Nikita Nikitin) he’ll be up against 2012 first-round pick Ryan Murray and Tim Erixon for the final two spots.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)