Aug 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
After an impressive rookie season, Columbus’ Dalton Prout is going to have to wait to show what he’s made of this season.
The Blue Jackets announced Prout would miss the start of preseason after undergoing abdominal surgery. GM Jarmo Kekalainen cleared up what was going on with the 23-year-old defenseman.
“Dalton has been experiencing some soreness for a number of weeks and after initial tests indicated a muscle strain, we discovered this week that there was actually a small tear and that surgery would be his best option,” said Kekalainen. ”They typical recovery time for an injury like this is six weeks, so our hope is he will be ready by the start of the regular season.”
That six week timeline times out to put him back in action in late September, just in time for the start of the regular season.
The question for Prout is how this affects his ability to compete for a starting job. With four spots likely spoken for (Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, and Nikita Nikitin) he’ll be up against 2012 first-round pick Ryan Murray and Tim Erixon for the final two spots.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- BREAKING: Assault changes against Varalmov dropped 4
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 1
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 52
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)