Bike crash pauses Laperriere’s Ironman push

Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT

Atlanta Thrashers v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Nerve damage to his eye and concussion issues cut Ian Laperriere’s NHL career short, but that didn’t kill his need to compete.

The former Philadelphia Flyers tough guy seemed primed to compete in Quebec’s Ironman North American Championship on Aug. 18, but that dream scuttled when a bicycle crash caused his concussion symptoms to return.

Laperriere admitted to NHL.com that the accident (which happened two weeks ago) might just bring his Ironman push to an end.

“That’s what is so depressing right now, I want to cry,” Laperriere said. “I felt great. I have issues with my eye but that’s from the nerve damage from when I took that puck. But for what I’m feeling now, I haven’t had that in a year-and-a-half or two years … It happened two weeks ago and I was hoping two weeks ago I would get better and haven’t felt that much better. I feel like I’m back where I was in 2010 in the playoffs, just hoping to be 100 percent again.”

He still holds out hope that he can participate, although the fact that the event takes place on Wednesday probably means it’s now out of reach.

It’s an added shame that he generated more than $13K for charitable causes leading up to the event. Still it doesn’t appear that Laperriere is ready to quit just yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

2. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

3. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

4. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

5. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

6. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

7. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

8. Habs re-sign deadline pickup Flynn: two years, $1.9 million

Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.

9. Florida waives Boyes for buyout purposes

Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Florida Panthers Getty Images

33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.

10. Hurricanes to buy out Semin

Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Six goals in 57 games last season.

11. What character concerns? Treliving has ‘slept like a baby’ since Hamilton trade

Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT

Dougie Hamilton Getty Images

“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “

12. ‘Hawks sign No. 3 goalie Leighton to one-year extension

Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT

Michael Leighton, Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.

13. Report: Isles, Hickey closing in three-year pact around $6.5M

Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT

thomashickeygetty Getty Images

26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches