Bike crash pauses Laperriere’s Ironman push

Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT

Atlanta Thrashers v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Nerve damage to his eye and concussion issues cut Ian Laperriere’s NHL career short, but that didn’t kill his need to compete.

The former Philadelphia Flyers tough guy seemed primed to compete in Quebec’s Ironman North American Championship on Aug. 18, but that dream scuttled when a bicycle crash caused his concussion symptoms to return.

Laperriere admitted to NHL.com that the accident (which happened two weeks ago) might just bring his Ironman push to an end.

“That’s what is so depressing right now, I want to cry,” Laperriere said. “I felt great. I have issues with my eye but that’s from the nerve damage from when I took that puck. But for what I’m feeling now, I haven’t had that in a year-and-a-half or two years … It happened two weeks ago and I was hoping two weeks ago I would get better and haven’t felt that much better. I feel like I’m back where I was in 2010 in the playoffs, just hoping to be 100 percent again.”

He still holds out hope that he can participate, although the fact that the event takes place on Wednesday probably means it’s now out of reach.

It’s an added shame that he generated more than $13K for charitable causes leading up to the event. Still it doesn’t appear that Laperriere is ready to quit just yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Bordeleau (back) out about three months, others Avs limp into camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.

2. Bruins GM on Krug, Smith: ‘They’re not going anywhere’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Torey Krug, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Florek, Reilly Smith, Kevan Miller AP

Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.

3. Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

Josh Harding AP

He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.

4. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

5. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

6. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

7. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

8. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

9. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

10. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

11. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

12. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

13. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

14. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches