Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
Nerve damage to his eye and concussion issues cut Ian Laperriere’s NHL career short, but that didn’t kill his need to compete.
The former Philadelphia Flyers tough guy seemed primed to compete in Quebec’s Ironman North American Championship on Aug. 18, but that dream scuttled when a bicycle crash caused his concussion symptoms to return.
Laperriere admitted to NHL.com that the accident (which happened two weeks ago) might just bring his Ironman push to an end.
“That’s what is so depressing right now, I want to cry,” Laperriere said. “I felt great. I have issues with my eye but that’s from the nerve damage from when I took that puck. But for what I’m feeling now, I haven’t had that in a year-and-a-half or two years … It happened two weeks ago and I was hoping two weeks ago I would get better and haven’t felt that much better. I feel like I’m back where I was in 2010 in the playoffs, just hoping to be 100 percent again.”
He still holds out hope that he can participate, although the fact that the event takes place on Wednesday probably means it’s now out of reach.
It’s an added shame that he generated more than $13K for charitable causes leading up to the event. Still it doesn’t appear that Laperriere is ready to quit just yet.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 50
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 63
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)