Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
Nerve damage to his eye and concussion issues cut Ian Laperriere’s NHL career short, but that didn’t kill his need to compete.
The former Philadelphia Flyers tough guy seemed primed to compete in Quebec’s Ironman North American Championship on Aug. 18, but that dream scuttled when a bicycle crash caused his concussion symptoms to return.
Laperriere admitted to NHL.com that the accident (which happened two weeks ago) might just bring his Ironman push to an end.
“That’s what is so depressing right now, I want to cry,” Laperriere said. “I felt great. I have issues with my eye but that’s from the nerve damage from when I took that puck. But for what I’m feeling now, I haven’t had that in a year-and-a-half or two years … It happened two weeks ago and I was hoping two weeks ago I would get better and haven’t felt that much better. I feel like I’m back where I was in 2010 in the playoffs, just hoping to be 100 percent again.”
He still holds out hope that he can participate, although the fact that the event takes place on Wednesday probably means it’s now out of reach.
It’s an added shame that he generated more than $13K for charitable causes leading up to the event. Still it doesn’t appear that Laperriere is ready to quit just yet.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 40
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)