Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
Nerve damage to his eye and concussion issues cut Ian Laperriere’s NHL career short, but that didn’t kill his need to compete.
The former Philadelphia Flyers tough guy seemed primed to compete in Quebec’s Ironman North American Championship on Aug. 18, but that dream scuttled when a bicycle crash caused his concussion symptoms to return.
Laperriere admitted to NHL.com that the accident (which happened two weeks ago) might just bring his Ironman push to an end.
“That’s what is so depressing right now, I want to cry,” Laperriere said. “I felt great. I have issues with my eye but that’s from the nerve damage from when I took that puck. But for what I’m feeling now, I haven’t had that in a year-and-a-half or two years … It happened two weeks ago and I was hoping two weeks ago I would get better and haven’t felt that much better. I feel like I’m back where I was in 2010 in the playoffs, just hoping to be 100 percent again.”
He still holds out hope that he can participate, although the fact that the event takes place on Wednesday probably means it’s now out of reach.
It’s an added shame that he generated more than $13K for charitable causes leading up to the event. Still it doesn’t appear that Laperriere is ready to quit just yet.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)