Aug 15, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Jason Pominville hasn’t been a member of the Minnesota Wild for very long, but the team wants to change that.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has reached out to Pominville to discuss a contract extension. Russo says Fletcher has reached out with just an initial discussion with the 30-year-old right wing but the team would like to keep him in the fold beyond this season.
After how much the Wild gave up to get him at the deadline this past season, keeping him for more than a season would seem logical. The catch here is how much money Pominville would be asking for.
The Wild have a handful of long-term contracts eating up cap space beyond this season. Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise, and Ryan Suter all have deals that stretch at least beyond 2017-2018. Suter and Parise, of course, signed matching 13-year contracts last summer.
Fletcher wants to keep Pominville in with that mix but not if it’ll cost a ton of money. With the cap likely going up after the upcoming season, Pominville could put the Wild in a spot where they have to pay up big for him or find a way to ship him out before losing him for nothing next summer.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)