Aug 15, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Jason Pominville hasn’t been a member of the Minnesota Wild for very long, but the team wants to change that.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has reached out to Pominville to discuss a contract extension. Russo says Fletcher has reached out with just an initial discussion with the 30-year-old right wing but the team would like to keep him in the fold beyond this season.
After how much the Wild gave up to get him at the deadline this past season, keeping him for more than a season would seem logical. The catch here is how much money Pominville would be asking for.
The Wild have a handful of long-term contracts eating up cap space beyond this season. Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise, and Ryan Suter all have deals that stretch at least beyond 2017-2018. Suter and Parise, of course, signed matching 13-year contracts last summer.
Fletcher wants to keep Pominville in with that mix but not if it’ll cost a ton of money. With the cap likely going up after the upcoming season, Pominville could put the Wild in a spot where they have to pay up big for him or find a way to ship him out before losing him for nothing next summer.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)