Aug 15, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
When Craig MacTavish was named the new general manager of the Edmonton Oilers in April, he called himself an “impatient guy” prepared to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
The Oilers, without a playoff appearance since 2006, have certainly made changes under his watch. New players include David Perron, Andrew Ference, and Boyd Gordon. They also have a new coach in Dallas Eakins.
Whether any of those moves, or the moves as a whole, qualifies as “bold” is a matter for debate. Some would look at all the turnover and say yes. Others thought the club might do something even bigger, like trade one of its many talented, young forwards — see: Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, Jordan Eberle, and Sam Gagner — for help in other areas.
“We’ve got a lot of depth on the back end now. It’s going to provide for a lot of competition. Everyone, including myself, has got to come ready to camp to make this team. It’s going to make us better,” Schultz said recently. “I’ve been training hard the last couple of months, enjoying my time off. I’m really excited for the season to come here. I’ve had enough of summer. I’m ready to go.”
So too will goalie Devan Dubnyk need to make strides. The 27-year-old had good numbers in 2013 (.920 save percentage), with only five other netminders in the NHL being forced to make more saves.
BUT…if the Oilers don’t break their playoff drought this season, MacTavish might feel the need to get really bold.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)