Aug 15, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have signed captain Gabriel Landeskog to a seven-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2020-21 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $39 million (cap hit $5.57 million).
“Gabe is and will continue to be a large part of the foundation of this hockey team for many years to come,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic in a release. “Signing our captain to a long-term extension demonstrates the commitment of Stan and Josh Kroenke to this franchise and to our fan base. In just two seasons, Gabe has already proven to be a great asset to our organization both on and off the ice. The fact that he has agreed to a long-term deal shows that he believes in this team, his teammates and the direction of this franchise moving forward.”
Landeskog was the second overall pick in the 2011 draft and was the NHL’s rookie of the year for the 2011-12 season.
The 20-year-old winger did, however, have a challenging 2013 season, scoring just 17 points in 36 games while missing time with a concussion.
“I would like to thank the Kroenke family and the entire Avalanche organization for their trust and belief in me,” Landeskog said. “I love Colorado and I love being a part of this wonderful community. There is no other place I’d rather be than in Denver wearing the Avalanche logo. I am looking forward to training camp and the upcoming season.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)