Aug 15, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have signed captain Gabriel Landeskog to a seven-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2020-21 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $39 million (cap hit $5.57 million).
“Gabe is and will continue to be a large part of the foundation of this hockey team for many years to come,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic in a release. “Signing our captain to a long-term extension demonstrates the commitment of Stan and Josh Kroenke to this franchise and to our fan base. In just two seasons, Gabe has already proven to be a great asset to our organization both on and off the ice. The fact that he has agreed to a long-term deal shows that he believes in this team, his teammates and the direction of this franchise moving forward.”
Landeskog was the second overall pick in the 2011 draft and was the NHL’s rookie of the year for the 2011-12 season.
The 20-year-old winger did, however, have a challenging 2013 season, scoring just 17 points in 36 games while missing time with a concussion.
“I would like to thank the Kroenke family and the entire Avalanche organization for their trust and belief in me,” Landeskog said. “I love Colorado and I love being a part of this wonderful community. There is no other place I’d rather be than in Denver wearing the Avalanche logo. I am looking forward to training camp and the upcoming season.”
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)