Aug 15, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have signed captain Gabriel Landeskog to a seven-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2020-21 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $39 million (cap hit $5.57 million).
“Gabe is and will continue to be a large part of the foundation of this hockey team for many years to come,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic in a release. “Signing our captain to a long-term extension demonstrates the commitment of Stan and Josh Kroenke to this franchise and to our fan base. In just two seasons, Gabe has already proven to be a great asset to our organization both on and off the ice. The fact that he has agreed to a long-term deal shows that he believes in this team, his teammates and the direction of this franchise moving forward.”
Landeskog was the second overall pick in the 2011 draft and was the NHL’s rookie of the year for the 2011-12 season.
The 20-year-old winger did, however, have a challenging 2013 season, scoring just 17 points in 36 games while missing time with a concussion.
“I would like to thank the Kroenke family and the entire Avalanche organization for their trust and belief in me,” Landeskog said. “I love Colorado and I love being a part of this wonderful community. There is no other place I’d rather be than in Denver wearing the Avalanche logo. I am looking forward to training camp and the upcoming season.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 43
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)