Aug 15, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have signed captain Gabriel Landeskog to a seven-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2020-21 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $39 million (cap hit $5.57 million).
“Gabe is and will continue to be a large part of the foundation of this hockey team for many years to come,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic in a release. “Signing our captain to a long-term extension demonstrates the commitment of Stan and Josh Kroenke to this franchise and to our fan base. In just two seasons, Gabe has already proven to be a great asset to our organization both on and off the ice. The fact that he has agreed to a long-term deal shows that he believes in this team, his teammates and the direction of this franchise moving forward.”
Landeskog was the second overall pick in the 2011 draft and was the NHL’s rookie of the year for the 2011-12 season.
The 20-year-old winger did, however, have a challenging 2013 season, scoring just 17 points in 36 games while missing time with a concussion.
“I would like to thank the Kroenke family and the entire Avalanche organization for their trust and belief in me,” Landeskog said. “I love Colorado and I love being a part of this wonderful community. There is no other place I’d rather be than in Denver wearing the Avalanche logo. I am looking forward to training camp and the upcoming season.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)