Aug 15, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
As expected, the New Jersey Devils, in addition to the rights to operate the Prudential Center arena where they play, have been sold to a group headed by billionaire Josh Harris, who’s also the principal owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers.
“It is with great pride that I stand here today …and share with you the sense of excitement we have as the new owners of the New Jersey Devils,” Harris said Thursday at a press conference in Newark, per NHL.com. “I can assure everyone here that David [Blitzer, co-owner] and I take the responsibility for being stewards of this great franchise seriously and we look forward to building excitement on and off the ice.”
Also present today was Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, who said he’s been impressed by the new owners and feels they’re committed to winning.
“Everyone wants to win but not everyone knows how,” he said. “They’re creative, they’re intuitive and they want to get an edge in every way they can. I’m comfortable with that and I’m honored to be here and stay here in New Jersey with the New Jersey Devils.”
Former owner Jeff Vanderbeek will remain with the Devils as a senior adviser and will reportedly retain a partial ownership share in the team.
Scott O’Neil, the former president of Madison Square Garden Sports, has been tapped to run business operations.
All in all, the change in ownership has to be seen as good news for Devils fans who’ve had to hear about the club’s financial struggles for some time now.
Lamoriello said he is comfortable knowing the new owners are committed to giving him the tools to put a winning team on the ice.—
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) August 15, 2013
Blitzer on keeping Lamoriello in role: " This team has stood for excellence and we don't want to fiddle with excellence."—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) August 15, 2013
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)