Aug 15, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
As expected, the New Jersey Devils, in addition to the rights to operate the Prudential Center arena where they play, have been sold to a group headed by billionaire Josh Harris, who’s also the principal owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers.
“It is with great pride that I stand here today …and share with you the sense of excitement we have as the new owners of the New Jersey Devils,” Harris said Thursday at a press conference in Newark, per NHL.com. “I can assure everyone here that David [Blitzer, co-owner] and I take the responsibility for being stewards of this great franchise seriously and we look forward to building excitement on and off the ice.”
Also present today was Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, who said he’s been impressed by the new owners and feels they’re committed to winning.
“Everyone wants to win but not everyone knows how,” he said. “They’re creative, they’re intuitive and they want to get an edge in every way they can. I’m comfortable with that and I’m honored to be here and stay here in New Jersey with the New Jersey Devils.”
Former owner Jeff Vanderbeek will remain with the Devils as a senior adviser and will reportedly retain a partial ownership share in the team.
Scott O’Neil, the former president of Madison Square Garden Sports, has been tapped to run business operations.
All in all, the change in ownership has to be seen as good news for Devils fans who’ve had to hear about the club’s financial struggles for some time now.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22