It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. Veteran NHLer Pyatt signs in Swiss league

Jul 24, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Taylor Pyatt

Journeyman split last season between the Rangers and Penguins.

2. Avs ‘confident’ they’ll reach deal with Barrie, says Sakic

Jul 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie #4 of the Colorado Avalanche and head coach Patrick Roy appear on the bench during their preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 28, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Colorado won 3-2.
(September 27, 2013 - Source: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Offensive d-man led all Colorado blueliners in goals last year, with 13.

3. Isles, Poulin avoid arbitration with one-year, two-way deal

Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Kevin Poulin

He’s likely to be the No. 3 goalie in New York this year.

4. Bruins name Sacco assistant coach

Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Joe Sacco AP

Former Colorado bench boss and Massachusetts native returns home.

5. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

6. PHT Morning Skate: What to do with Niemi?

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Antti Niemi AP

Thursday’s assortment of links.

7. Babcock on analytics: ‘I love the information’

Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

mikebabcockgetty Getty Images

Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.

8. Florida phases out ‘Lady Panthers’

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Florida Panthers Getty Images

They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.

9. Video: EA teases what’s new in NHL 15

Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

eanhl15screen

Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?

10. Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016

Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

James Reimer, Mark Fraser, Steven Stamkos AP

“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”

11. Sakic says there was ‘never any animosity’ between Avs and O’Reilly

Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Joe Sakic AP

“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”

12. Jacques Martin is now Pittsburgh’s senior advisor of hockey operations

Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Jacques Martin, Dan Bylsma, Sidney Crosby, James Neal, Chris Kunitz AP

His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.

13. Fayne looking forward to defending the ‘bigger guys’ in West

Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

Mark Fayne, Mark Letestu AP

“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”

14. Ex-NHLer Paek to coach Korea, with goal of participating in 2018 Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

Detroit Red Wings 2007 Headshots Getty Images

Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

15. Sabres sign d-man Benoit — one year, $800,000

Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches