It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EST

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. Rangers release Tallinder from AHL PTO

Dec 17, 2014, 3:40 PM EST

Henrik Tallinder Getty Images

Veteran d-man no longer with the Hartford Wolf Pack.

2. Robinson confirms he won’t be behind Sharks’ bench next season

Dec 17, 2014, 3:02 PM EST

San Jose Sharks v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Will instead serve in a “player development/consultant role,” and will work out of his Florida home.

3. Henrik Sedin insists the Canucks are still feeling good about themselves

Dec 17, 2014, 1:31 PM EST

Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin AP

Despite four straight losses and the memory of last season.

4. Berra, buried: Avs to start Pickard for three-games-in-four-nights stretch

Dec 17, 2014, 1:23 PM EST

Winnipeg Jets v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“In every game that he’s played, he hasn’t shown any signs of fatigue.”

5. Six straight losses have Flames lamenting the turning of the tide

Dec 17, 2014, 12:25 PM EST

Karri Ramo AP

“When we were winning games, it seemed those chances against would not go in.”

6. Leafs waive Kozun

Dec 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EST

Calgary Flames v Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames v Toronto Maple Leafs

Preseason standout now up for grabs.

7. Wild need to stop treading water, go on a run

Dec 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EST

Minnesota Wild v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

“You just have to find a way to be better so it’s not going to be about one call or one bounce.”

8. Nick Foligno is having himself quite the contract year

Dec 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EST

Nick Foligno Nick Foligno

Which will make things interesting for both him and the Blue Jackets.

9. Pens testing Fleury, Bortuzzo and Maatta for mumps

Dec 17, 2014, 11:06 AM EST

Marc-Andre Fleury, Olli Maatta Marc-Andre Fleury, Olli Maatta

Beau Bennett still dealing with effects, Sidney Crosby has “passed the infectious period.”

10. Stars owner Gaglardi purchases AHL Texas affiliate

Dec 17, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Dallas Stars Unveil New Logo and Uniforms Dallas Stars Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

Says the move “reaffirms our vision of becoming an elite organization, both at the NHL and AHL levels.”

11. NHL on NBCSN: Bruins vs. Wild on Rivalry Night

Dec 17, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Mikael Granlund, Patrice Bergeron AP

Both teams are dealing with some adversity right now.

12. Advantage Raanta: Blackhawks send Darling to AHL

Dec 17, 2014, 9:47 AM EST

darling Getty Images

“He’s done a tremendous job for us,” Joel Quenneville said.

13. PHT Morning Skate: Another Jack Adams for Ted Nolan?

Dec 17, 2014, 8:33 AM EST

Ted Nolan AP

Wednesday’s collection of links.

14. ‘Things aren’t coming easy for us,’ says Lucic after Bruins loss

Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 AM EST

Milan Lucic Getty Images

The Florida Panthers surpassed Boston in the East standings.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins