It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. Under Pressure: Jeff Blashill

Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwfin2ixyjjjywfizwyynmm3n2fkyjmwztaynmzly2y1 AP

Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.

2. It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT

Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Petr Mrazek AP

The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.

3. Avs-Red Wings alumni game to feature Sakic, Forsberg, Shanahan, Lidstrom

Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

2011 NHL Entry Draft - Round One Getty Images

The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002

4. Sharks re-sign Aaron Dell after strong AHL campaign

Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

Aaron Dell Getty Images

He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.

5. What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres?

Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?

6. MacLellan doesn’t think summer additions have to take from Johansson

Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

Marcus Johansson Getty Images

He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.

7. Buffalo Sabres ’14-15 Outlook

Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

MATT MOULSON AP

Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.

8. Poll: How soon will the Sabres make the playoffs?

Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

Tim Murray, Jack Eichel AP

Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.

9. Sabres’ biggest question: Defense

Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT

Zach Bogosian, Boone Jenner AP

Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”

10. NHL ordered to turn over concussion data as part of lawsuit

Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Beyond Sport United 2015 Getty Images

The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.

11. Looking to make the leap: Sam Reinhart

Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Sam Reinhart Getty Images

In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?

12. Under Pressure: Robin Lehner

Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT

Robin Lehner, AP

This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.

13. It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT

Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

150803-Jack-Eichel2 Getty Images

The worst should be behind them.

14. Poll: Is Boudreau the right coach to lead Anaheim to a championship?

Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Bruce Boudreau AP

Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?

15. Ducks’ Biggest Question: Is their window already starting to close?

Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Ryan Kesler AP

In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?

16. In Bernier, Leafs hope they have a stabilizing force

Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Jonathan Bernier Getty Images

His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for

Top 10 NHL Player Searches