It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. PHT Morning Skate: Nerds vs. dinosaurs

Sep 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dragon Con AP

Tuesday’s collection of links.

2. Oilers GM doesn’t anticipate a trade before training camp

Sep 1, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT

2014 NHL Draft - Round 1 Getty Images

Edmonton wants to assess Leon Draisaitl, it seems.

3. Challenging early schedule looms for Sharks

Sep 1, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT

Antti Niemi, Marc-Edouard Vlasic AP

Sixteen of their first 21 games are on the road.

4. Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season

Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

Part two of today’s Labor Day posts.

5. NHL’s hardest working defensemen in 2013-14

Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Five Getty Images

Part one of two Labor Day “theme” posts.

6. Johnston believes Pouliot’s ready for NHL

Sep 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Derrick Pouliot Getty Images

The new Penguins bench boss previously coached the young defenseman.

7. Hitchcock: Cole has opportunity to be top-six defenseman

Sep 1, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Ian Cole Getty Images

The 25-year-old has been fighting for playing time since he broke into the NHL.

8. Yeo to split Wild’s first three preseason games among three goalies

Sep 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Josh Harding, Niklas Backstrom Josh Harding, Niklas Backstrom

He might pick an opening game starter after that, but the battle for the top spot is likely to extend into the season.

9. Five interesting players still on UFA market

Sep 1, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT

Ilya Bryzgalov Getty Images

Will they have contracts by the start of the season?

10. Boudreau thinks Heatley’s a better fit with Perry/Getzlaf than Penner

Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

Last season’s experiment ended with Penner being traded.

11. Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’

Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT

Barry Trotz AP

He continued to follow their summer moves after he was fired.

12. Lombardi brings Stanley Cup to Snoopy

Aug 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Dean Lombardi AP

The late creator of Peanuts was a big hockey fan.

13. Columnist: Schultz deal might complicate Avs’ talks with RFA Barrie

Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie Getty Images

The Colorado defenseman is still a restricted free agent.

14. Scioscia wants MLB to adopt NHL-inspired roster expansion rules

Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

Mike Scioscia AP

“I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”

15. Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success

Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

Ron Hextall Getty Images

He served as an assistant general manager in Los Angeles before coming to Philadelphia.

16. Gagner looking for fresh start in Arizona

Aug 31, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT

Sam Gagner AP

After matching a career-low in goals during the 2013-14 season, he’s hoping for big things with the Coyotes.

17. Report: Devils sign Kelly

Aug 31, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Image (1) NewJerseyDevils_logo-thumb-250x243-22093.gif for post 6122

Add depth to blue line in Albany.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches