It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. Risk Factors: New York Rangers edition

Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v New York Rangers - Game Four Getty Images

Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.

2. Dumba ‘doing a lot of good things’ in push for spot on Wild

Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Matthew Dumba Getty Images

Good things like getting an assist in three straight games.

3. Emery (lower body) might start tonight

Sep 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ray Emery deflects the puck over his head during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Calgary Flames, Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek) AP

Rob Zepp was starting to look like a possibility to be the team’s backup.

4. Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition

Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Zdeno Chara AP

Zdeno Chara’s advancing age is one reason for Bruins fans to worry.

5. Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr line not ready for marriage

Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Jaromir Jagr AP

Devils coach Pete DeBoer says they’re still dating.

6. Capuano continues auditions for Tavares line

Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT

Cory Conacher Getty Images

Cory Conacher is probably up next.

7. Giroux (lower body) a ‘possibility’ Tuesday

Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Four Getty Images

He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.

8. Red Wings tryout Rome suffers lower-body injury

Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

He won’t return to Monday’s game.

9. Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand

Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT

Boone Jenner #38 of the Columbus Blue Jackets skates against the New York Islanders at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on October 5, 2013 in Uniondale, New York. The Blue Jackets defeated the Islanders 3-2 in the shootout.
(October 4, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.

10. Hodgson feels ‘really comfortable’ at left wing

Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

Cody Hodgson Getty Images

Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?

11. Mason adjusting to new Wells Fargo lights

Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Mike Cammalleri AP

This is certainly the time to do that.

12. Heatley out a week with groin injury

Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

Has two goals in the preseason.

13. Gettin’ the band back together: Blues hire Gainey as Hitch’s consultant

Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

bob gainey

If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!

14. Ducks send ’14 1st-rounder Ritchie back to junior, release Yip from PTO

Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.

15. All three Canuck kids skating together tonight

Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Bo Horvat AP

Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches