It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. Ribeiro, Preds continue to negotiate an extension

Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.

2. NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas

Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Las Vegas Arena Construction Site Tour Getty Images

But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.

3. Sharks sign Jones to a three-year, $9 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

martinjonesap AP

San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.

4. Islanders ink Anders Lee to a four-year, $15 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 06: Anders Lee #27 of the New York Islanders celebrates a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during an NHL game at Rexall Place on March 06, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Getty Images

He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

5. Wings buy out Weiss after two rocky seasons

Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Weiss Getty Images

Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.

6. Trade: Oilers get Korpikoski from Coyotes for Gordon

Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT

Lauri Korpikoski Getty Images

Arizona is getting back its former center.

7. Saad, Jackets working on an extension ‘as we speak’

Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Brandon Saad

He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

8. Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.

9. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

10. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

11. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

12. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

13. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

14. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

15. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

16. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches