It was about the money — Alfredsson explains decision to leave Ottawa

Aug 15, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Today in Ottawa, Senators fans finally got to hear from former captain Daniel Alfredsson about why he left for the Detroit Red Wings.

The answer, in one word: money.

For the answer in more words, here’s Alfredsson’s explanation, per the Ottawa Citizen:

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.

“However, after the 2012 season, I told the Sens I wanted to play another season. I also asked to look at a possible extension this upcoming season at a fair amount to balance out the two years for both of us. They agreed.

“Sadly, the contract negotiations went nowhere, but I played out the season as I had promised and I believe this past season, in my view, was a very special one.”

He went on: “In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season. I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before.”

But negotiations once again went nowhere, and shortly thereafter the Detroit Red Wings, and other teams, came calling.

As for Alfredsson’s earlier claim that he left for Detroit because he felt the Wings had a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup?

“I wish I could have taken that comment back,” he said.

Certainly, today’s press conference won’t end the questions for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, who recently claimed that Alfredsson’s demands were simply too much for the club to meet.

Melnyk told the Ottawa Citizen that Alfredsson came to the Senators with both salary demands and desire for Ottawa to add more talent.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’” Melnyk said.

But, as the Citizen’s James Gordon writes, “the perception will likely shift now to one of sympathy for Alfredsson, a player who thought he had an agreement with the team but was left hanging when it came down to putting something on paper.”

Latest Posts
  1. 18 going on 30: Habs’ prospect Fucale must be patient behind Price

Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Zachary Fucale AP

He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.

2. Panthers will bring hockey to Dominican Republic

Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

2015 NHL All-Star Weekend - Mascot Portraits Getty Images

They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.

3. Report: Bruins extend tryout offer to Gustavsson

Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Jonas Gustavsson AP

Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.

4. Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer

Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

Phil Kessel AP

His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.

5. Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office

Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Rich Peverley AP

He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.

6. Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development

Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Rangers Sign Chris Drury And Scott Gomez Getty Images

GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.

7. Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation

Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.

8. Tyler Johnson should be ready for Lightning training camp

Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Tyler Johnson AP

He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.

9. Zetterberg: Babcock leaving Detroit was best for both sides

Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Stanley Cup Finals - Detroit Red Wings v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Six Getty Images

A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”

10. Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Andrei Vasilevskiy AP

Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.

11. Dmitry Orlov (wrist) ready after missing 2014-15

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT

Dmitry Orlov Getty Images

He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.

12. Coyotes sign ’15 first rounder Nick Merkley

Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Nick Merkley Getty Images

He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.

13. Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Slava Voynov AP

They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.

14. Calgary presents Ryan Wilson with PTO

Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

Ryan Wilson Getty Images

Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?

15. Interviewer: Raanta’s rooting against Hawks quote is real, but needs context

Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Antti Raanta Getty Images

“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches