Aug 15, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
After an initial report from CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio saying Flyers captain Claude Giroux pulled out of a charity golf tournament in Ottawa due to an injury to one of his surgically repaired wrists, it turns out he had a freak accident to contend with instead.
The Flyers updated the situation saying Giroux had surgery to repair his right index finger on Thursday after hurting it during a round of golf. The team says Giroux’s club shattered sending splinters of the shaft into his finger.
While he didn’t break any bones, there was severe damage to the tendons in his finger. The team says it’ll take 5-6 weeks for a full recovery.
This is an unlucky blow to the team just a month before training camp was set to open. If there’s an upside here, it’s that Giroux likely won’t miss any time in the regular season and will still have a couple weeks in the preseason to get up to speed.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)