Aug 15, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
After an initial report from CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio saying Flyers captain Claude Giroux pulled out of a charity golf tournament in Ottawa due to an injury to one of his surgically repaired wrists, it turns out he had a freak accident to contend with instead.
The Flyers updated the situation saying Giroux had surgery to repair his right index finger on Thursday after hurting it during a round of golf. The team says Giroux’s club shattered sending splinters of the shaft into his finger.
While he didn’t break any bones, there was severe damage to the tendons in his finger. The team says it’ll take 5-6 weeks for a full recovery.
This is an unlucky blow to the team just a month before training camp was set to open. If there’s an upside here, it’s that Giroux likely won’t miss any time in the regular season and will still have a couple weeks in the preseason to get up to speed.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)