Aug 15, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
After an initial report from CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio saying Flyers captain Claude Giroux pulled out of a charity golf tournament in Ottawa due to an injury to one of his surgically repaired wrists, it turns out he had a freak accident to contend with instead.
The Flyers updated the situation saying Giroux had surgery to repair his right index finger on Thursday after hurting it during a round of golf. The team says Giroux’s club shattered sending splinters of the shaft into his finger.
While he didn’t break any bones, there was severe damage to the tendons in his finger. The team says it’ll take 5-6 weeks for a full recovery.
This is an unlucky blow to the team just a month before training camp was set to open. If there’s an upside here, it’s that Giroux likely won’t miss any time in the regular season and will still have a couple weeks in the preseason to get up to speed.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)