Aug 15, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Ales Hemsky has been often thought to be on the next plane out of town when the trade deadline approaches or offseason begins, but after another rumor-filled time he’s set to begin his 11th season with the Oilers. In that time, however, he’s spent plenty of time on injured reserve leading to frustration with fans and media alike.
Could now be the time to send Hemsky packing for a new destination? If GM Craig MacTavish can find a taker, perhaps yes. The Oilers’ current position against the salary cap and Hemsky being in the final year of his contract means he could be on his way out. It’s not as easy as that though.
The Oilers have embraced their future and guys like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are leading the way. Hemsky’s offensive abilities make him an obvious fit either next to Hopkins or in his familiar spot with Sam Gagner, but with his injuries and cap hit, he’s an obvious candidate to be exiled.
That doesn’t make things easier for MacTavish, however. If Hemsky stays healthy for most of the season and puts up monster numbers in Dallas Eakins’ new system, he’d be set to hit free agency as a proven offensive player. At age 30 he’d be high-risk for a long-term deal and with Edmonton being a possible playoff team, they might not want to upset the apple cart.
All that aside, those are a lot of “ifs” for Oilers brass to get a handle of. If ever there were a time it’d be best to move Hemsky, now is it. Unfortunately for them, the reduced salary cap comes at a bad time. His $5 million cap hit makes him a tough sell to anyone in need of offense.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22