Aug 14, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
As that whole thing with Alex Rodriguez continues to drag on in the world of baseball, Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews took to the airwaves today on Sportsnet 590 and spoke candidly about performance-enhancing drugs in the NHL.
Does Toews think there’s a PED problem in hockey?
“I think it would be naive to say that there’s no one in the NHL that is trying to get the edge in that fashion,” said Toews, per TheScore.com. “But at the end of the day whether you get caught now or not, down the road at some point those sort of things come out as we’ve seen in Major League Baseball and cycling.
“Eventually… someone is going to save their own butt and throw you under the bus. And that’s your legacy. That’s what people remember: that you’re a cheater and you took performance enhancing drugs.
“I think guys that apologize and plead that they didn’t know what they were doing, I think they know exactly what they’re doing. So the more tests the better. It protects the guys that are being fair and are putting good things into their body. So I have no problem with (more testing).”
Per the summary of the new CBA, here’s how the NHL tests players for PEDs:
Drug testing in Training Camp (beginning in 2013/14 season), once during the Regular Season as part of “team testing,” and additional random, no-notice testing on individual Players:
a) throughout the Regular Season,
b) during the Playoffs, and
c) during the off-season (no more than 60 tests per off-season and subject to NHL/NHLPA agreement on logistics and off-season testing protocols).
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)