Aug 14, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils, as well as the operating rights to the Prudential Center arena where they play, are being sold for “well in excess of $300 million,” an individual familiar with the process tells The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
In fact, the price that billionaire Josh Harris, already the principal owner of NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, pays may be in excess of $320 million, according to the New York Times.
Whatever the exact price, Gulitti reports it will “cover the approximately $200 million in debts the Devils and Devils’ Arena Entertainment have accumulated and still leave [current owner Jeff Vanderbeek] with a significant surplus.”
There’s also this tidbit from the Times:
Harris is expected to ask Scott O’Neil, the former president of Madison Square Garden Sports, to run the Devils’ off-ice operations. Lou Lamoriello, the team’s longtime president and general manager, is expected to remain in those roles.
The NHL is expected to approve the sale tomorrow.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 4
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)