Aug 14, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
Headline on PHT (Mar. 28, 2013):
Headline on PHT (June 14, 2013):
So when we ask how bad Calgary will be next year, it isn’t meant to ridicule. To the contrary, it’s a totally legitimate question, to which a lot of Flames fans are hoping the answer is, “Really, really bad. Like…the worst.”
The Flames already got three first-round picks at this summer’s draft: Sean Monahan (sixth overall), Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th). But that was only the beginning, if you believe the general manager.
“I don’t think there’s a quick fix,” Feaster said, per the Calgary Sun. “The fact of the matter is we have to do a better job as an organization in drafting. We think over the last three years or so that we’ve done a better job. But not enough players are pushing through right now.”
Granted, there’s still the likes of Mike Cammalleri, Jiri Hudler, Mark Giordano, and Dennis Wideman, but on paper, this team has big question marks in multiple areas. As in, pretty much every area that exists.
In 2013-14, the Flames will be in the Pacific Division with the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers. The consensus is they’ll be hard-pressed to finish anywhere but last. Which, again, is what many fans are hoping.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)