Aug 14, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
Headline on PHT (Mar. 28, 2013):
Headline on PHT (June 14, 2013):
So when we ask how bad Calgary will be next year, it isn’t meant to ridicule. To the contrary, it’s a totally legitimate question, to which a lot of Flames fans are hoping the answer is, “Really, really bad. Like…the worst.”
The Flames already got three first-round picks at this summer’s draft: Sean Monahan (sixth overall), Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th). But that was only the beginning, if you believe the general manager.
“I don’t think there’s a quick fix,” Feaster said, per the Calgary Sun. “The fact of the matter is we have to do a better job as an organization in drafting. We think over the last three years or so that we’ve done a better job. But not enough players are pushing through right now.”
Granted, there’s still the likes of Mike Cammalleri, Jiri Hudler, Mark Giordano, and Dennis Wideman, but on paper, this team has big question marks in multiple areas. As in, pretty much every area that exists.
In 2013-14, the Flames will be in the Pacific Division with the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers. The consensus is they’ll be hard-pressed to finish anywhere but last. Which, again, is what many fans are hoping.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)