Aug 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are expected to be somewhere between mediocre and lousy next season, but that doesn’t mean that they lack assets altogether.
Assuming that GM Jay Feaster is maintaining the same list of “untouchables” that included Sven Baertschi, Curtis Glencross, Mark Giordano and T.J. Brodie at the 2013 trade deadline, here’s a look at some other players worth trading for next season.
Mike Cammalleri – Feaster can sell suitors on his expiring contract and the fact that he’s scored 20+ goals five times in his career, including two 30+ goal seasons. (Don’t forget his 13 goals for Montreal in the 2010 playoffs.)
Dennis Wideman – Carries many of the same strengths and weaknesses as other often-criticized offensive defensemen like Mike Green. Many teams might balk at his $5.25 million rate through 2016-17, especially since he’s already 30. Still, he brings experience and is used to logging big minutes.
Lee Stempniak – He’s quietly put up some nice numbers for the Flames at a reasonable price. Don’t be surprised if he’s a savvy deadline pickup by a contending team.
Jiri Hudler – The former Detroit Red Wings winger produced at about the same level as he did in Hockeytown. He carries a digestible price tag ($4 million per year through 2015-16) and is fairly young at 29. His stock might be at an all-time low, though.
Mikael Backlund – Perhaps some other team believes that the 24-year-old will make a breakthrough thanks to a change in scenery?
Shane O’Brien – For all his faults, he brings the kind of size and edge that is still valued in the NHL.
David Jones – Sure, the Flames just traded for him, but what if someone offers a solid pick or prospect for the overpaid sniper?
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)