Aug 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are expected to be somewhere between mediocre and lousy next season, but that doesn’t mean that they lack assets altogether.
Assuming that GM Jay Feaster is maintaining the same list of “untouchables” that included Sven Baertschi, Curtis Glencross, Mark Giordano and T.J. Brodie at the 2013 trade deadline, here’s a look at some other players worth trading for next season.
Mike Cammalleri – Feaster can sell suitors on his expiring contract and the fact that he’s scored 20+ goals five times in his career, including two 30+ goal seasons. (Don’t forget his 13 goals for Montreal in the 2010 playoffs.)
Dennis Wideman – Carries many of the same strengths and weaknesses as other often-criticized offensive defensemen like Mike Green. Many teams might balk at his $5.25 million rate through 2016-17, especially since he’s already 30. Still, he brings experience and is used to logging big minutes.
Lee Stempniak – He’s quietly put up some nice numbers for the Flames at a reasonable price. Don’t be surprised if he’s a savvy deadline pickup by a contending team.
Jiri Hudler – The former Detroit Red Wings winger produced at about the same level as he did in Hockeytown. He carries a digestible price tag ($4 million per year through 2015-16) and is fairly young at 29. His stock might be at an all-time low, though.
Mikael Backlund – Perhaps some other team believes that the 24-year-old will make a breakthrough thanks to a change in scenery?
Shane O’Brien – For all his faults, he brings the kind of size and edge that is still valued in the NHL.
David Jones – Sure, the Flames just traded for him, but what if someone offers a solid pick or prospect for the overpaid sniper?
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)