Aug 14, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
The question was a simple one for Vancouver Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman — will Roberto Luongo be happy to arrive at Vancouver training camp next month?
The answer Gilman provided was anything but black and white.
“I’m not sure what the definition of happiness is, even when one is ecstatic,” Gilman said Wednesday while co-hosting on TEAM 1040 radio (audio).
“But…I think he is going to come here to camp committed, he’s going to be driven, he has a tremendous amount to play for on multiple levels, personally in terms of re-establishing his place as the Canucks’ number-one goaltender, nationally he has the opportunity to be the first goaltender to back Canada to consecutive gold medals at the Olympics, and I think he wants to win the Stanley Cup as much as any player out there.”
Luongo still hasn’t spoken publicly since Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey at the draft — a trade that Gilman readily admitted took Luongo by surprise.
“Needless to say, he had operated under the assumption that he was going to be traded, because he had requested to be traded after the 2012 season,” said Gilman.
“I think the biggest emotion that he experienced through the whole period was shock, because he anticipated that he would be traded.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)