Aug 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The Calgary Flames didn’t just ship the face of their franchise out of town when they traded Jarome Iginla; they also gave up their long-standing captain.
Following that move, head coach Bob Hartley made it clear that they wouldn’t name a replacement until the summer, so today seems like a good time to examine that decision.
Mark Giordano – With Jay Boumweester out of town, the 29-year-old defenseman serves as Calgary’s top penalty killer and generally plays the toughest minutes. He serves as great “lead by example” option. His contract runs through 2015-16, too.
Curtis Glencross – Along with Giordano, he’s an experienced Calgary Flames skater who was labeled “untouchable.” The solid winger does a little bit of everything.
Mike Cammalleri – He was an alternate captain along with Giordano and Glencross last season. Cammalleri is likely to be a go-to guy for the Flames option, but Calgary might want to make sure he’s locked up beyond 2013-14 before giving him the “C.”
Dennis Wideman – His defensive deficiencies might make it harder to call him captain, but he logs big minutes and his contract makes him tough enough to trade that he should be around for a while.
Just wait – Who says the rebuilding Flames even need to name a captain? It will be tough enough to fill Iginla’s shoes, especially since this rebuilding roster could look drastically different once the renovation project is finished.
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)