Aug 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The Calgary Flames didn’t just ship the face of their franchise out of town when they traded Jarome Iginla; they also gave up their long-standing captain.
Following that move, head coach Bob Hartley made it clear that they wouldn’t name a replacement until the summer, so today seems like a good time to examine that decision.
Mark Giordano – With Jay Boumweester out of town, the 29-year-old defenseman serves as Calgary’s top penalty killer and generally plays the toughest minutes. He serves as great “lead by example” option. His contract runs through 2015-16, too.
Curtis Glencross – Along with Giordano, he’s an experienced Calgary Flames skater who was labeled “untouchable.” The solid winger does a little bit of everything.
Mike Cammalleri – He was an alternate captain along with Giordano and Glencross last season. Cammalleri is likely to be a go-to guy for the Flames option, but Calgary might want to make sure he’s locked up beyond 2013-14 before giving him the “C.”
Dennis Wideman – His defensive deficiencies might make it harder to call him captain, but he logs big minutes and his contract makes him tough enough to trade that he should be around for a while.
Just wait – Who says the rebuilding Flames even need to name a captain? It will be tough enough to fill Iginla’s shoes, especially since this rebuilding roster could look drastically different once the renovation project is finished.
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)