Aug 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames didn’t just ship the face of their franchise out of town when they traded Jarome Iginla; they also gave up their long-standing captain.
Following that move, head coach Bob Hartley made it clear that they wouldn’t name a replacement until the summer, so today seems like a good time to examine that decision.
Mark Giordano – With Jay Boumweester out of town, the 29-year-old defenseman serves as Calgary’s top penalty killer and generally plays the toughest minutes. He serves as great “lead by example” option. His contract runs through 2015-16, too.
Curtis Glencross – Along with Giordano, he’s an experienced Calgary Flames skater who was labeled “untouchable.” The solid winger does a little bit of everything.
Mike Cammalleri – He was an alternate captain along with Giordano and Glencross last season. Cammalleri is likely to be a go-to guy for the Flames option, but Calgary might want to make sure he’s locked up beyond 2013-14 before giving him the “C.”
Dennis Wideman – His defensive deficiencies might make it harder to call him captain, but he logs big minutes and his contract makes him tough enough to trade that he should be around for a while.
Just wait – Who says the rebuilding Flames even need to name a captain? It will be tough enough to fill Iginla’s shoes, especially since this rebuilding roster could look drastically different once the renovation project is finished.
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)