Aug 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames didn’t just ship the face of their franchise out of town when they traded Jarome Iginla; they also gave up their long-standing captain.
Following that move, head coach Bob Hartley made it clear that they wouldn’t name a replacement until the summer, so today seems like a good time to examine that decision.
Mark Giordano – With Jay Boumweester out of town, the 29-year-old defenseman serves as Calgary’s top penalty killer and generally plays the toughest minutes. He serves as great “lead by example” option. His contract runs through 2015-16, too.
Curtis Glencross – Along with Giordano, he’s an experienced Calgary Flames skater who was labeled “untouchable.” The solid winger does a little bit of everything.
Mike Cammalleri – He was an alternate captain along with Giordano and Glencross last season. Cammalleri is likely to be a go-to guy for the Flames option, but Calgary might want to make sure he’s locked up beyond 2013-14 before giving him the “C.”
Dennis Wideman – His defensive deficiencies might make it harder to call him captain, but he logs big minutes and his contract makes him tough enough to trade that he should be around for a while.
Just wait – Who says the rebuilding Flames even need to name a captain? It will be tough enough to fill Iginla’s shoes, especially since this rebuilding roster could look drastically different once the renovation project is finished.
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 28
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)