Aug 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames didn’t just ship the face of their franchise out of town when they traded Jarome Iginla; they also gave up their long-standing captain.
Following that move, head coach Bob Hartley made it clear that they wouldn’t name a replacement until the summer, so today seems like a good time to examine that decision.
Mark Giordano – With Jay Boumweester out of town, the 29-year-old defenseman serves as Calgary’s top penalty killer and generally plays the toughest minutes. He serves as great “lead by example” option. His contract runs through 2015-16, too.
Curtis Glencross – Along with Giordano, he’s an experienced Calgary Flames skater who was labeled “untouchable.” The solid winger does a little bit of everything.
Mike Cammalleri – He was an alternate captain along with Giordano and Glencross last season. Cammalleri is likely to be a go-to guy for the Flames option, but Calgary might want to make sure he’s locked up beyond 2013-14 before giving him the “C.”
Dennis Wideman – His defensive deficiencies might make it harder to call him captain, but he logs big minutes and his contract makes him tough enough to trade that he should be around for a while.
Just wait – Who says the rebuilding Flames even need to name a captain? It will be tough enough to fill Iginla’s shoes, especially since this rebuilding roster could look drastically different once the renovation project is finished.
More Calgary Flames day on PHT:
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)