Aug 13, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars deny they tampered with Evgeni Malkin by offering the Penguins star a contract while he was Pittsburgh property.
“We have seen the reports that have surfaced out of Russia claiming that we have tampered and they are completely untrue,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a statement to the Dallas Morning News.
“The Dallas Stars organization respects and adheres to all rules and regulations set forth by the National Hockey League and any report that claims otherwise is false.”
Nill’s statement comes in response to an interview that Malkin‘s father, Vladimir, had with Russian newspaper Sovetsky Sport in which he claimed that the Stars offered his son an even bigger contract than the eight-year, $76-million extension he signed with the Penguins in June.
Was Malkin’s father mistaken then? Maybe.
Or, could both men in fact be telling the truth? Earlier today, we suggested it was possible the Stars made a contract offer — perhaps just an informal “what if we were to give you this?” type of thing — as part of a trade discussion between the two teams. (Remember, there were rumors.) But that’s purely speculation on our part.
According to Morning News reporter Mike Heika, the NHL does not appear to be investigating this matter any further.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 9
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)