Aug 13, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars deny they tampered with Evgeni Malkin by offering the Penguins star a contract while he was Pittsburgh property.
“We have seen the reports that have surfaced out of Russia claiming that we have tampered and they are completely untrue,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a statement to the Dallas Morning News.
“The Dallas Stars organization respects and adheres to all rules and regulations set forth by the National Hockey League and any report that claims otherwise is false.”
Nill’s statement comes in response to an interview that Malkin‘s father, Vladimir, had with Russian newspaper Sovetsky Sport in which he claimed that the Stars offered his son an even bigger contract than the eight-year, $76-million extension he signed with the Penguins in June.
Was Malkin’s father mistaken then? Maybe.
Or, could both men in fact be telling the truth? Earlier today, we suggested it was possible the Stars made a contract offer — perhaps just an informal “what if we were to give you this?” type of thing — as part of a trade discussion between the two teams. (Remember, there were rumors.) But that’s purely speculation on our part.
According to Morning News reporter Mike Heika, the NHL does not appear to be investigating this matter any further.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)