Aug 13, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk made it seem like the team needed to draw a line in the sand in July: either keep Daniel Alfredsson or trade for a significant player like Bobby Ryan. Sens GM Bryan Murray told NHL.com that the team probably would have been able to find a way to make it work with both players, however.
“I think Eugene’s being a little hard on himself in that scenario,” Murray said on Tuesday. “We had talked about a way of doing Alfie’s contract and still making the trade for Bobby Ryan, both financially and in terms of player return for [the Anaheim Ducks].”
Murray notes that he isn’t absolutely certain that the Ryan + Alfredsson setup would work, but he believes it would have at least been feasible.
The veteran GM admits that the franchise does indeed have an in-house budget that’s under the salary cap ceiling, although he notes that Melnyk wouldn’t be against making an impact move that pushes the payroll up higher. It just so happens that the time needs to be right.
All this conjecture makes the possibility of Alfredsson opening up on Thursday that much more enticing.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)