Aug 13, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk made it seem like the team needed to draw a line in the sand in July: either keep Daniel Alfredsson or trade for a significant player like Bobby Ryan. Sens GM Bryan Murray told NHL.com that the team probably would have been able to find a way to make it work with both players, however.
“I think Eugene’s being a little hard on himself in that scenario,” Murray said on Tuesday. “We had talked about a way of doing Alfie’s contract and still making the trade for Bobby Ryan, both financially and in terms of player return for [the Anaheim Ducks].”
Murray notes that he isn’t absolutely certain that the Ryan + Alfredsson setup would work, but he believes it would have at least been feasible.
The veteran GM admits that the franchise does indeed have an in-house budget that’s under the salary cap ceiling, although he notes that Melnyk wouldn’t be against making an impact move that pushes the payroll up higher. It just so happens that the time needs to be right.
All this conjecture makes the possibility of Alfredsson opening up on Thursday that much more enticing.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)