Aug 13, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk made it seem like the team needed to draw a line in the sand in July: either keep Daniel Alfredsson or trade for a significant player like Bobby Ryan. Sens GM Bryan Murray told NHL.com that the team probably would have been able to find a way to make it work with both players, however.
“I think Eugene’s being a little hard on himself in that scenario,” Murray said on Tuesday. “We had talked about a way of doing Alfie’s contract and still making the trade for Bobby Ryan, both financially and in terms of player return for [the Anaheim Ducks].”
Murray notes that he isn’t absolutely certain that the Ryan + Alfredsson setup would work, but he believes it would have at least been feasible.
The veteran GM admits that the franchise does indeed have an in-house budget that’s under the salary cap ceiling, although he notes that Melnyk wouldn’t be against making an impact move that pushes the payroll up higher. It just so happens that the time needs to be right.
All this conjecture makes the possibility of Alfredsson opening up on Thursday that much more enticing.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)