Aug 13, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Instead, Barry insisted on Tuesday that the contract extension talks were “super smooth.”
“The negotiations with Pittsburgh went very smoothly,” Barry said. “Ray Shero, David Morehouse, Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux showed a willingness throughout to find a fair structure for both sides. Evgeni was very pleased that this negotiation was concluded amicably as his wishes were always to remain in Pittsburgh.”
The 27-year-old backed that statement up via a text message to the Tribune-Review, stating that he hopes to “only play for Pittsburgh.”
Malkin’s father Vladimir mentioned that the Dallas Stars might have made an offer to Malkin in Sovetsky Sport, yet the Stars denied any rumors of tampering.
The Tribune-Review and Dallas Morning News report that the NHL isn’t investigating possible tampering. With that and Malkin’s eight-year, $76 million extension in mind, it seems that it’s all a moot point (if it even happened in the first place).
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 20
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 51
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39