Aug 13, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
Instead, Barry insisted on Tuesday that the contract extension talks were “super smooth.”
“The negotiations with Pittsburgh went very smoothly,” Barry said. “Ray Shero, David Morehouse, Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux showed a willingness throughout to find a fair structure for both sides. Evgeni was very pleased that this negotiation was concluded amicably as his wishes were always to remain in Pittsburgh.”
The 27-year-old backed that statement up via a text message to the Tribune-Review, stating that he hopes to “only play for Pittsburgh.”
Malkin’s father Vladimir mentioned that the Dallas Stars might have made an offer to Malkin in Sovetsky Sport, yet the Stars denied any rumors of tampering.
The Tribune-Review and Dallas Morning News report that the NHL isn’t investigating possible tampering. With that and Malkin’s eight-year, $76 million extension in mind, it seems that it’s all a moot point (if it even happened in the first place).
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46