Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
Call Tuesday jersey number day for the Colorado Avalanche.
One announcement closes a chapter for the franchise while another one represents the beginning of what could be a sterling career.
29: Nathan MacKinnon announced on Twitter that he’ll wear No. 29, at least for next season.
(Then again, he might just stick with 29 if he has a great rookie year.)
52: The team released word that they’ll retire defenseman Adam Foote’s No. 52 during a Nov. 2 home game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Foote will be the fifth player in Avalanche history to get his number retired, joining Joe Sakic (19), Peter Forsberg (21), Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). Stretching back deeper to the franchise’s roots, nine players in Avalanche/Nordiques history have had their numbers retired, as Peter Stastny (26), Michel Goulet (16), Marc Tardif (8) and J.C. Tremblay also received the honor.
Perhaps MacKinnon’s number will hang in the rafters some day, too?
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)