Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
Call Tuesday jersey number day for the Colorado Avalanche.
One announcement closes a chapter for the franchise while another one represents the beginning of what could be a sterling career.
29: Nathan MacKinnon announced on Twitter that he’ll wear No. 29, at least for next season.
(Then again, he might just stick with 29 if he has a great rookie year.)
52: The team released word that they’ll retire defenseman Adam Foote’s No. 52 during a Nov. 2 home game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Foote will be the fifth player in Avalanche history to get his number retired, joining Joe Sakic (19), Peter Forsberg (21), Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). Stretching back deeper to the franchise’s roots, nine players in Avalanche/Nordiques history have had their numbers retired, as Peter Stastny (26), Michel Goulet (16), Marc Tardif (8) and J.C. Tremblay also received the honor.
Perhaps MacKinnon’s number will hang in the rafters some day, too?
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 88
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 43
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 73
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63