Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Call Tuesday jersey number day for the Colorado Avalanche.
One announcement closes a chapter for the franchise while another one represents the beginning of what could be a sterling career.
29: Nathan MacKinnon announced on Twitter that he’ll wear No. 29, at least for next season.
(Then again, he might just stick with 29 if he has a great rookie year.)
52: The team released word that they’ll retire defenseman Adam Foote’s No. 52 during a Nov. 2 home game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Foote will be the fifth player in Avalanche history to get his number retired, joining Joe Sakic (19), Peter Forsberg (21), Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). Stretching back deeper to the franchise’s roots, nine players in Avalanche/Nordiques history have had their numbers retired, as Peter Stastny (26), Michel Goulet (16), Marc Tardif (8) and J.C. Tremblay also received the honor.
Perhaps MacKinnon’s number will hang in the rafters some day, too?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)