Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
Call Tuesday jersey number day for the Colorado Avalanche.
One announcement closes a chapter for the franchise while another one represents the beginning of what could be a sterling career.
29: Nathan MacKinnon announced on Twitter that he’ll wear No. 29, at least for next season.
(Then again, he might just stick with 29 if he has a great rookie year.)
52: The team released word that they’ll retire defenseman Adam Foote’s No. 52 during a Nov. 2 home game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Foote will be the fifth player in Avalanche history to get his number retired, joining Joe Sakic (19), Peter Forsberg (21), Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). Stretching back deeper to the franchise’s roots, nine players in Avalanche/Nordiques history have had their numbers retired, as Peter Stastny (26), Michel Goulet (16), Marc Tardif (8) and J.C. Tremblay also received the honor.
Perhaps MacKinnon’s number will hang in the rafters some day, too?
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 26
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)