Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Call Tuesday jersey number day for the Colorado Avalanche.
One announcement closes a chapter for the franchise while another one represents the beginning of what could be a sterling career.
29: Nathan MacKinnon announced on Twitter that he’ll wear No. 29, at least for next season.
(Then again, he might just stick with 29 if he has a great rookie year.)
52: The team released word that they’ll retire defenseman Adam Foote’s No. 52 during a Nov. 2 home game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Foote will be the fifth player in Avalanche history to get his number retired, joining Joe Sakic (19), Peter Forsberg (21), Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). Stretching back deeper to the franchise’s roots, nine players in Avalanche/Nordiques history have had their numbers retired, as Peter Stastny (26), Michel Goulet (16), Marc Tardif (8) and J.C. Tremblay also received the honor.
Perhaps MacKinnon’s number will hang in the rafters some day, too?
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)