Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some big reasons for heightened expectations next season – and one significant change to be sad about – but improved health is a key driving force for optimism. Even so, it’s important to note that every injury rehab is different and that there can often be unforeseen bumps in the road.
With that in mind, it’s difficult to determine which Erik Karlsson we’ll see to begin 2013. Will we see the guy who won the 2012 Norris Trophy or the defenseman who inspired a lot of “not at his best” commentary after coming back sooner than expected from an unfortunate Achilles injury?
The gifted 23-year-old provided Hockey Night in Sweden’s Marie Lehmann with a mixture of positive and disconcerting comments about his recovery on Tuesday.
Good news: The talented blueliner says “he’s sure he’ll be 100 percent” and that this has been his best summer workout-wise.
Bad news: Karlsson described the feeling he has around his Achilles area as “it’s not really connecting down there.”
“The normal feeling isn’t there, but I’m getting used to not normal,” Karlsson said.
On one hand, there’s the evidence that Karlsson might be the Adrian Peterson of blueliners: a guy who seems to defy medical science with his ability to bounce back from a frightening injury.
On the other hand, saying he’s “getting used to not normal” is pretty disturbing (and makes one think of a grimmer NFL injury parallel in Robert Griffin III’s mysterious situation).
Plenty of NHL players have provided optimistic outlooks about bouncing back at full strength only to see health issues linger on. It seems like one can make strong arguments for and against Karlsson’s chances of being the same dynamic player he was before, so we’ll just need to wait and see if he can make it happen.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)