Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators have some big reasons for heightened expectations next season – and one significant change to be sad about – but improved health is a key driving force for optimism. Even so, it’s important to note that every injury rehab is different and that there can often be unforeseen bumps in the road.
With that in mind, it’s difficult to determine which Erik Karlsson we’ll see to begin 2013. Will we see the guy who won the 2012 Norris Trophy or the defenseman who inspired a lot of “not at his best” commentary after coming back sooner than expected from an unfortunate Achilles injury?
The gifted 23-year-old provided Hockey Night in Sweden’s Marie Lehmann with a mixture of positive and disconcerting comments about his recovery on Tuesday.
Good news: The talented blueliner says “he’s sure he’ll be 100 percent” and that this has been his best summer workout-wise.
Bad news: Karlsson described the feeling he has around his Achilles area as “it’s not really connecting down there.”
“The normal feeling isn’t there, but I’m getting used to not normal,” Karlsson said.
On one hand, there’s the evidence that Karlsson might be the Adrian Peterson of blueliners: a guy who seems to defy medical science with his ability to bounce back from a frightening injury.
On the other hand, saying he’s “getting used to not normal” is pretty disturbing (and makes one think of a grimmer NFL injury parallel in Robert Griffin III’s mysterious situation).
Plenty of NHL players have provided optimistic outlooks about bouncing back at full strength only to see health issues linger on. It seems like one can make strong arguments for and against Karlsson’s chances of being the same dynamic player he was before, so we’ll just need to wait and see if he can make it happen.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)