Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some big reasons for heightened expectations next season – and one significant change to be sad about – but improved health is a key driving force for optimism. Even so, it’s important to note that every injury rehab is different and that there can often be unforeseen bumps in the road.
With that in mind, it’s difficult to determine which Erik Karlsson we’ll see to begin 2013. Will we see the guy who won the 2012 Norris Trophy or the defenseman who inspired a lot of “not at his best” commentary after coming back sooner than expected from an unfortunate Achilles injury?
The gifted 23-year-old provided Hockey Night in Sweden’s Marie Lehmann with a mixture of positive and disconcerting comments about his recovery on Tuesday.
Good news: The talented blueliner says “he’s sure he’ll be 100 percent” and that this has been his best summer workout-wise.
Bad news: Karlsson described the feeling he has around his Achilles area as “it’s not really connecting down there.”
“The normal feeling isn’t there, but I’m getting used to not normal,” Karlsson said.
On one hand, there’s the evidence that Karlsson might be the Adrian Peterson of blueliners: a guy who seems to defy medical science with his ability to bounce back from a frightening injury.
On the other hand, saying he’s “getting used to not normal” is pretty disturbing (and makes one think of a grimmer NFL injury parallel in Robert Griffin III’s mysterious situation).
Plenty of NHL players have provided optimistic outlooks about bouncing back at full strength only to see health issues linger on. It seems like one can make strong arguments for and against Karlsson’s chances of being the same dynamic player he was before, so we’ll just need to wait and see if he can make it happen.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)