Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some big reasons for heightened expectations next season – and one significant change to be sad about – but improved health is a key driving force for optimism. Even so, it’s important to note that every injury rehab is different and that there can often be unforeseen bumps in the road.
With that in mind, it’s difficult to determine which Erik Karlsson we’ll see to begin 2013. Will we see the guy who won the 2012 Norris Trophy or the defenseman who inspired a lot of “not at his best” commentary after coming back sooner than expected from an unfortunate Achilles injury?
The gifted 23-year-old provided Hockey Night in Sweden’s Marie Lehmann with a mixture of positive and disconcerting comments about his recovery on Tuesday.
Good news: The talented blueliner says “he’s sure he’ll be 100 percent” and that this has been his best summer workout-wise.
Bad news: Karlsson described the feeling he has around his Achilles area as “it’s not really connecting down there.”
“The normal feeling isn’t there, but I’m getting used to not normal,” Karlsson said.
On one hand, there’s the evidence that Karlsson might be the Adrian Peterson of blueliners: a guy who seems to defy medical science with his ability to bounce back from a frightening injury.
On the other hand, saying he’s “getting used to not normal” is pretty disturbing (and makes one think of a grimmer NFL injury parallel in Robert Griffin III’s mysterious situation).
Plenty of NHL players have provided optimistic outlooks about bouncing back at full strength only to see health issues linger on. It seems like one can make strong arguments for and against Karlsson’s chances of being the same dynamic player he was before, so we’ll just need to wait and see if he can make it happen.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Could Devan Dubnyk take a run at Mike Smith’s job?
Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Pretty strong vote of confidence right there.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)