Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some big reasons for heightened expectations next season – and one significant change to be sad about – but improved health is a key driving force for optimism. Even so, it’s important to note that every injury rehab is different and that there can often be unforeseen bumps in the road.
With that in mind, it’s difficult to determine which Erik Karlsson we’ll see to begin 2013. Will we see the guy who won the 2012 Norris Trophy or the defenseman who inspired a lot of “not at his best” commentary after coming back sooner than expected from an unfortunate Achilles injury?
The gifted 23-year-old provided Hockey Night in Sweden’s Marie Lehmann with a mixture of positive and disconcerting comments about his recovery on Tuesday.
Good news: The talented blueliner says “he’s sure he’ll be 100 percent” and that this has been his best summer workout-wise.
Bad news: Karlsson described the feeling he has around his Achilles area as “it’s not really connecting down there.”
“The normal feeling isn’t there, but I’m getting used to not normal,” Karlsson said.
On one hand, there’s the evidence that Karlsson might be the Adrian Peterson of blueliners: a guy who seems to defy medical science with his ability to bounce back from a frightening injury.
On the other hand, saying he’s “getting used to not normal” is pretty disturbing (and makes one think of a grimmer NFL injury parallel in Robert Griffin III’s mysterious situation).
Plenty of NHL players have provided optimistic outlooks about bouncing back at full strength only to see health issues linger on. It seems like one can make strong arguments for and against Karlsson’s chances of being the same dynamic player he was before, so we’ll just need to wait and see if he can make it happen.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20