Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks day on PHT continues with news the club has had discussions with free-agent defenseman Douglas Murray.
No, it’s not particularly big news. Mostly because the Canucks are hardly the only team that’s been kicking the tires on the veteran rearguard.
“We’ve talked to [the Canucks] off and on all summer,” player agent Anton Thun told The Province. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”
Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman confirmed that the club is looking to sign another blue-liner, but said discussions have taken place with “numerous” free agents.
A big, physical defender with questionable skating ability, Murray could theoretically replace Andrew Alberts, who is also a big, physical defender with questionable skating ability.
Murray, 33, was traded to Pittsburgh from San Jose in March. In 15 playoff games for the Penguins, he had two goals and one assist while averaging 15:19 of ice time.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)