Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Vancouver Canucks day on PHT continues with news the club has had discussions with free-agent defenseman Douglas Murray.
No, it’s not particularly big news. Mostly because the Canucks are hardly the only team that’s been kicking the tires on the veteran rearguard.
“We’ve talked to [the Canucks] off and on all summer,” player agent Anton Thun told The Province. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”
Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman confirmed that the club is looking to sign another blue-liner, but said discussions have taken place with “numerous” free agents.
A big, physical defender with questionable skating ability, Murray could theoretically replace Andrew Alberts, who is also a big, physical defender with questionable skating ability.
Murray, 33, was traded to Pittsburgh from San Jose in March. In 15 playoff games for the Penguins, he had two goals and one assist while averaging 15:19 of ice time.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 54
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)