Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks day on PHT continues with news the club has had discussions with free-agent defenseman Douglas Murray.
No, it’s not particularly big news. Mostly because the Canucks are hardly the only team that’s been kicking the tires on the veteran rearguard.
“We’ve talked to [the Canucks] off and on all summer,” player agent Anton Thun told The Province. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”
Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman confirmed that the club is looking to sign another blue-liner, but said discussions have taken place with “numerous” free agents.
A big, physical defender with questionable skating ability, Murray could theoretically replace Andrew Alberts, who is also a big, physical defender with questionable skating ability.
Murray, 33, was traded to Pittsburgh from San Jose in March. In 15 playoff games for the Penguins, he had two goals and one assist while averaging 15:19 of ice time.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)