Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks day on PHT continues with news the club has had discussions with free-agent defenseman Douglas Murray.
No, it’s not particularly big news. Mostly because the Canucks are hardly the only team that’s been kicking the tires on the veteran rearguard.
“We’ve talked to [the Canucks] off and on all summer,” player agent Anton Thun told The Province. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”
Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman confirmed that the club is looking to sign another blue-liner, but said discussions have taken place with “numerous” free agents.
A big, physical defender with questionable skating ability, Murray could theoretically replace Andrew Alberts, who is also a big, physical defender with questionable skating ability.
Murray, 33, was traded to Pittsburgh from San Jose in March. In 15 playoff games for the Penguins, he had two goals and one assist while averaging 15:19 of ice time.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)