Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
It’s Vancouver Canucks day on PHT, so it’s only appropriate that there’s an update on the status of 23-year-old defenseman Chris Tanev, who needs to agree to terms with Vancouver after completing his entry-level contract. Or maybe not.
Tanev’s negotiations with Vancouver have been quiet lately, but his agent Ross Gurney claims that there are KHL clubs with interest in the blueliner.
“We are waiting to hear from [the Canucks],” Gurney told the Vancouver Sun. “We did have some momentum for a period of time a couple of weeks back, but we haven’t heard back from them since our last conversation. The only variable that has changed is that for whatever reason there seems to be an uptick in the amount of interest from the KHL.
“It’s interesting how many people are monitoring it (the negotiations).”
Gurney added that Tanev stills wants to re-sign with the Canucks, but the financial terms being discussed with the KHL teams are substantial.
“Chris grew up dreaming about playing in the NHL and is coming up to some very important years in his career,” Gurney added. “That said, we are in a position of listening and I think it gives him confidence there are a number of people monitoring the process…should things not go the way Chris wanted, they are kind of staking their claim.”
Meanwhile, Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman confirmed that the Canucks haven’t negotiated with Tanev in a couple of weeks, but he’s still optimistic about Vancouver’s chances of re-signing him.
“There is still a reasonable amount of time before our season and our training camp begins,” Gilman said.
Tanev has two goals, 10 points, a plus-14 rating, and 136 blocked shots in 92 career NHL games.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 3
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54