Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
It’s Vancouver Canucks day on PHT, so it’s only appropriate that there’s an update on the status of 23-year-old defenseman Chris Tanev, who needs to agree to terms with Vancouver after completing his entry-level contract. Or maybe not.
Tanev’s negotiations with Vancouver have been quiet lately, but his agent Ross Gurney claims that there are KHL clubs with interest in the blueliner.
“We are waiting to hear from [the Canucks],” Gurney told the Vancouver Sun. “We did have some momentum for a period of time a couple of weeks back, but we haven’t heard back from them since our last conversation. The only variable that has changed is that for whatever reason there seems to be an uptick in the amount of interest from the KHL.
“It’s interesting how many people are monitoring it (the negotiations).”
Gurney added that Tanev stills wants to re-sign with the Canucks, but the financial terms being discussed with the KHL teams are substantial.
“Chris grew up dreaming about playing in the NHL and is coming up to some very important years in his career,” Gurney added. “That said, we are in a position of listening and I think it gives him confidence there are a number of people monitoring the process…should things not go the way Chris wanted, they are kind of staking their claim.”
Meanwhile, Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman confirmed that the Canucks haven’t negotiated with Tanev in a couple of weeks, but he’s still optimistic about Vancouver’s chances of re-signing him.
“There is still a reasonable amount of time before our season and our training camp begins,” Gilman said.
Tanev has two goals, 10 points, a plus-14 rating, and 136 blocked shots in 92 career NHL games.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 18
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)