Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The status of Red Wings forward Darren Helm has been a concern for the team for some time now, but there’s more good news on the way.
Detroit GM Ken Holland tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press that Helm continues to improve and the hope to have him at the start of the season continues.
“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”
Helm was dealing with an injured back last season that limited him to playing in just one game. His health leaves a lot up in the air for Detroit as guys like Cory Emmerton and Joakim Andersson will have their roles determined by how much he plays.
Detroit also has a glut of forwards to get figured out as well. Helm is their preferred third or fourth line center, but moving one of Emmerton, Andersson, or anyone else at this point can’t be done unless they’re sure he can go full-speed.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)