Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The status of Red Wings forward Darren Helm has been a concern for the team for some time now, but there’s more good news on the way.
Detroit GM Ken Holland tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press that Helm continues to improve and the hope to have him at the start of the season continues.
“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”
Helm was dealing with an injured back last season that limited him to playing in just one game. His health leaves a lot up in the air for Detroit as guys like Cory Emmerton and Joakim Andersson will have their roles determined by how much he plays.
Detroit also has a glut of forwards to get figured out as well. Helm is their preferred third or fourth line center, but moving one of Emmerton, Andersson, or anyone else at this point can’t be done unless they’re sure he can go full-speed.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)