Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The status of Red Wings forward Darren Helm has been a concern for the team for some time now, but there’s more good news on the way.
Detroit GM Ken Holland tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press that Helm continues to improve and the hope to have him at the start of the season continues.
“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”
Helm was dealing with an injured back last season that limited him to playing in just one game. His health leaves a lot up in the air for Detroit as guys like Cory Emmerton and Joakim Andersson will have their roles determined by how much he plays.
Detroit also has a glut of forwards to get figured out as well. Helm is their preferred third or fourth line center, but moving one of Emmerton, Andersson, or anyone else at this point can’t be done unless they’re sure he can go full-speed.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)