Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The status of Red Wings forward Darren Helm has been a concern for the team for some time now, but there’s more good news on the way.
Detroit GM Ken Holland tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press that Helm continues to improve and the hope to have him at the start of the season continues.
“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”
Helm was dealing with an injured back last season that limited him to playing in just one game. His health leaves a lot up in the air for Detroit as guys like Cory Emmerton and Joakim Andersson will have their roles determined by how much he plays.
Detroit also has a glut of forwards to get figured out as well. Helm is their preferred third or fourth line center, but moving one of Emmerton, Andersson, or anyone else at this point can’t be done unless they’re sure he can go full-speed.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)