Aug 12, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
With one play, Gregory Campbell epitomized what players will do to win in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Boston Bruins forward suffered a broken leg blocking an Evgeni Malkin slap shot in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Campbell, in extreme pain, somehow struggled to his feet and finished his penalty-killing shift before hobbling off the ice.
The Bruins’ fans, in appreciation, began chanting ‘Camp-bell! Camp-bell!‘ Courageous as it was, the injury forced him out of the playoffs.
However, as Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reports, Campbell is “…on track to be ready for the start of training camp next month.”
“He was in town a couple of weeks ago, and he borrowed my car because he’s too cheap to go out and rent one,” Bruins enforcer Shawn Thornton CSNNE.com.
“He looks pretty good. He’s up walking around, and he said that he’s working out. He looks good, so I’m hoping he’s ready to go at the start of camp.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)