Aug 12, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
With one play, Gregory Campbell epitomized what players will do to win in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Boston Bruins forward suffered a broken leg blocking an Evgeni Malkin slap shot in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Campbell, in extreme pain, somehow struggled to his feet and finished his penalty-killing shift before hobbling off the ice.
The Bruins’ fans, in appreciation, began chanting ‘Camp-bell! Camp-bell!‘ Courageous as it was, the injury forced him out of the playoffs.
However, as Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com reports, Campbell is “…on track to be ready for the start of training camp next month.”
“He was in town a couple of weeks ago, and he borrowed my car because he’s too cheap to go out and rent one,” Bruins enforcer Shawn Thornton CSNNE.com.
“He looks pretty good. He’s up walking around, and he said that he’s working out. He looks good, so I’m hoping he’s ready to go at the start of camp.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)