Aug 12, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Back in June, a few eyebrows were raised when the Dallas Stars acquired the rights to veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar from the Ottawa Senators and subsequently signed the 39-year-old to a two-year deal worth US$10 million.
It was an aggressive move for a player on his last NHL legs, but new Stars general manager Jim Nill thinks it will pay off in a big way.
“Another piece to the puzzle, and he’s kind of the forgotten man, is Sergei Gonchar,” Nill told NHL.com. “I think he’s really going to solidify our defense. He gives us a dimension we don’t have a lot of. We have a couple of power-play guys (like Alex Goligoski), but not as high-end as Sergei.”
Nill also believes Gonchar will prove a great mentor for some of the young Stars.
“The young kids need a veteran presence,” said Nill. “Now you have that presence in the dressing room that you need. I come from a situation in Detroit where you can never have enough veterans. They know how to win. It’s a lifestyle every day of what you have to do to win. I know these veterans are going to bring that to the young kids that we have, which down the road will pay dividends for us.”
Gonchar won a Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009. In Dallas, he joins a club that could surprise some people in 2013-14. The Stars have a good mix of young talent (Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, and Brenden Dillon) and veterans (Gonchar, Ray Whitney, Erik Cole, and Shawn Horcoff), plus they’ve got a capable goalie in Kari Lehtonen.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)