Aug 12, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Back in June, a few eyebrows were raised when the Dallas Stars acquired the rights to veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar from the Ottawa Senators and subsequently signed the 39-year-old to a two-year deal worth US$10 million.
It was an aggressive move for a player on his last NHL legs, but new Stars general manager Jim Nill thinks it will pay off in a big way.
“Another piece to the puzzle, and he’s kind of the forgotten man, is Sergei Gonchar,” Nill told NHL.com. “I think he’s really going to solidify our defense. He gives us a dimension we don’t have a lot of. We have a couple of power-play guys (like Alex Goligoski), but not as high-end as Sergei.”
Nill also believes Gonchar will prove a great mentor for some of the young Stars.
“The young kids need a veteran presence,” said Nill. “Now you have that presence in the dressing room that you need. I come from a situation in Detroit where you can never have enough veterans. They know how to win. It’s a lifestyle every day of what you have to do to win. I know these veterans are going to bring that to the young kids that we have, which down the road will pay dividends for us.”
Gonchar won a Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009. In Dallas, he joins a club that could surprise some people in 2013-14. The Stars have a good mix of young talent (Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, and Brenden Dillon) and veterans (Gonchar, Ray Whitney, Erik Cole, and Shawn Horcoff), plus they’ve got a capable goalie in Kari Lehtonen.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)