Aug 12, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis didn’t make Canada’s 2010 men’s Olympic ice hockey team, however he appears to be using that for motivation in a bid to make the squad for the 2014 Sochi Games.
St. Louis, who wore the Maple Leaf during Canada’s disastrous showing in Turin in 2006, was among 47 players invited to Hockey Canada’s Olympic orientation camp slated for Aug. 25 to 28 in Calgary.
It’s a new chance and opportunity for the 38-year-old. He’s certainly earned it.
Last season, he had 60 points in 48 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Despite growing older and not blessed with overwhelming size – he’s listed at 5’8″ tall – St. Louis has had higher than a point-per-game average in five of the last seven seasons, and three of the last four.
But he was clearly pained by the decision to be kept off the 2010 gold-medal winning team.
“It was tough. It was one of those disappointments,” St. Louis told Sportsnet.ca.
“You feed off it and get better. Keep pushing.”
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)