Aug 12, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis didn’t make Canada’s 2010 men’s Olympic ice hockey team, however he appears to be using that for motivation in a bid to make the squad for the 2014 Sochi Games.
St. Louis, who wore the Maple Leaf during Canada’s disastrous showing in Turin in 2006, was among 47 players invited to Hockey Canada’s Olympic orientation camp slated for Aug. 25 to 28 in Calgary.
It’s a new chance and opportunity for the 38-year-old. He’s certainly earned it.
Last season, he had 60 points in 48 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Despite growing older and not blessed with overwhelming size – he’s listed at 5’8″ tall – St. Louis has had higher than a point-per-game average in five of the last seven seasons, and three of the last four.
But he was clearly pained by the decision to be kept off the 2010 gold-medal winning team.
“It was tough. It was one of those disappointments,” St. Louis told Sportsnet.ca.
“You feed off it and get better. Keep pushing.”
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)