Aug 12, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis didn’t make Canada’s 2010 men’s Olympic ice hockey team, however he appears to be using that for motivation in a bid to make the squad for the 2014 Sochi Games.
St. Louis, who wore the Maple Leaf during Canada’s disastrous showing in Turin in 2006, was among 47 players invited to Hockey Canada’s Olympic orientation camp slated for Aug. 25 to 28 in Calgary.
It’s a new chance and opportunity for the 38-year-old. He’s certainly earned it.
Last season, he had 60 points in 48 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Despite growing older and not blessed with overwhelming size – he’s listed at 5’8″ tall – St. Louis has had higher than a point-per-game average in five of the last seven seasons, and three of the last four.
But he was clearly pained by the decision to be kept off the 2010 gold-medal winning team.
“It was tough. It was one of those disappointments,” St. Louis told Sportsnet.ca.
“You feed off it and get better. Keep pushing.”
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)