Aug 12, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Martin St. Louis didn’t make Canada’s 2010 men’s Olympic ice hockey team, however he appears to be using that for motivation in a bid to make the squad for the 2014 Sochi Games.
St. Louis, who wore the Maple Leaf during Canada’s disastrous showing in Turin in 2006, was among 47 players invited to Hockey Canada’s Olympic orientation camp slated for Aug. 25 to 28 in Calgary.
It’s a new chance and opportunity for the 38-year-old. He’s certainly earned it.
Last season, he had 60 points in 48 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Despite growing older and not blessed with overwhelming size – he’s listed at 5’8″ tall – St. Louis has had higher than a point-per-game average in five of the last seven seasons, and three of the last four.
But he was clearly pained by the decision to be kept off the 2010 gold-medal winning team.
“It was tough. It was one of those disappointments,” St. Louis told Sportsnet.ca.
“You feed off it and get better. Keep pushing.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)