Aug 12, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Yeah, that’s Michael Handzus with the Stanley Cup back in his home country of Slovakia. It draws a crowd everywhere it goes. (Getty)
Just to help you through the doldrums of summer, here’s your light at the end of the tunnel: There are 50 days left until opening night.
On to the news…
The likely new owners of the Devils are being viewed as guys who will build up the current team, not rip it apart. You mean their roster can be decimated further?! (Star-Ledger)
Flames prospect Bill Arnold is catching the eyes of one scout at Boston College. (Calgary Flames)
Senators owner Eugene Melnyk is talking more about the team facing a new financial reality. Gulp. (Senators Extra)
Finally, a sad note to pass along. Arizona Republic writer and Coyotes beat reporter Jim Gintonio passed away last night following a battle with cancer.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 5
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 13
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 10
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5