It’s San Jose Sharks day on PHT

Aug 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Four Getty Images

Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The San Jose Sharks.

It’s funny what happens sometimes around the trade deadline. When the San Jose Sharks used the deadline to send Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray out of town, many thought they were just cashing in to get picks on soon-to-be free agents and not doing it to win more games.

Instead, that turned into a rallying point of sorts and the team rolled through the latter part of the season and into the playoffs. While they ultimately gave way to the Kings in seven games of the Western Conference semifinals, their loss this time around didn’t feel like the soul-crushing disappointments of the past. A loss to build on rather than nitpick? All things are possible.

Offseason recap

Considering the Sharks did most of their summer business during the season, the offseason has been a relative bore. They traded T.J. Galiardi to Calgary and acquired Tyler Kennedy from Pittsburgh at the NHL Draft. In free agency, they only saw guys leaving town as Scott Gomez signed with Florida and retained three players: forwards Bracken Kearns and Raffi Torres and defenseman Scott Hannan.

The quiet summer doesn’t mean they didn’t spend money, though. Logan Couture was inked to a five-year, $30 million extension while Joe Pavelski signed an eerily similar deal to stay in San Jose. Those guys were due to get paid and boy did they ever.

There won’t be much in the way of new faces this season for the Sharks (2012 first-round pick Tomas Hertl and backup goalie Alex Stalock excepted) but after last season’s late resurgence it feels like a team breathing new life.

Related:

Introducing: PHT’s ‘Team of the Day’ summer series

1. sjsharks66 - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

This should be a good season for the Sharks. I’m really excited to see what TK can do for the team. I have wanted DW to pick him up for a couple of years now. I think he will be a huge plus for the team.

This team has the veterans, the young guys, a star goalie, some solid defense and some grit players. The only thing they need is luck and the Sharks may be able to finally bring the cup to San Jose.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I dunno man. This is a team where the fans have to be one of the most frustrated fan bases in the NHL. Many years they have the talent but can never get over the playoff hump. They’ve been a competitive organization pretty much since their conception and the days of being backstopped by Irbe.

Every year, I think they have a good chance to be a contender and every year they just run out of gas. Maybe they’re like a watched pot?

• kaptaanamerica - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The kings were too much last season.the series only went seven games cuz the kings got jobbed in San Jose by the brutal refereeing.the series would have been over in five.I have to say though that the sharks made the most of the bad refereeing.

I doubt they get that lucky two seasons running. In any case,i pick the sharks kings and Canucks to fight for first in the division.the playoffs are the kings to lose though.if Willie comes back, it’ll be even harder to beat the kings.although, frankly speaking,i think torts will have a hugely positive impact on the accountability of the players to play to their best and not mail it in like they did with AV.

Sharks will need more from their third and fourth lines to beat L.A.and better d all around. Niemi is solid in net.

• phillyphanatic77 - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

And I am so glad he’s out of the Flyers division. He was totally under-appreciated by Pens fans. They complained about him all the time, but he killed the Flyers. And he was one of their better players when they finally dressed him in the playoffs. He’s underrated. He has solid speed and can give you 15-20 goals on the 3rd line. Good pickup.

2. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

The big question is regarding post-season success – do they have what it takes to beat the Kings in a divisional playoff match? If not, the 2nd round is their ceiling.

I yield the floor the the Sharks and Kings fans;)

• ron05342 - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I don’t think they do, then again, I am a Kings fan.

Kings should have taken at least one in San Jose to make it a shorter series. They were their own worst enemy this season, so pathetic on the road the last month of the season and the playoffs.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Are you serious, we outplayed you lol

• phillyphanatic77 - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I keep seeing this from Kings fans when they talk about San Jose. You guys don’t seem to respect the Sharks eventho the series could’ve easily gone the other way. San Jose did an impressive job against the Kings. For me, the top 4 teams out west (not regarding playoff seeding) are: 1) Chicago 2) LA 3) St. Louis 4) San Jose. And anything can happen in the playoffs so I don’t see why the Sharks couldn’t pull off an upset.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM

These bandwagon kings fans have no clue

• ron05342 - Aug 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

@ ethanmacleod1685:

Yes, I am a bandwagon Kings fan. I jumped on the bandwagon in 1967…

…you moron. Next time, know the facts who post here. So you don’t look like such an unmitigated moron.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Kings should have put away the Sharks sooner. That’s my opinion. It has nothing to do with lack of hockey knowledge. I have forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know.

Moron.

• blomfeld - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Congratulations to the San Jose Sharks on this their special day and many thanks again for dispatching the Canadian Men’s Olympic Diving Team with such ‘ruthless’ aplomb last season. You Sharks are a ‘cool’ team, no two ways about it, though you’re obviously not as cool as the LA Kings. Nonetheless, in going forward I can now see you Sharks making ‘mince’ meat out of teams like the Canucks, Flames, Capitals, Rangers, Canadiens, Leafs and Flyers, as such is your ‘strength & depth’ at every position. The problem however is that we LA Kings aren’t going away ! In fact we LA Kings have ‘only just begun’ our dynasty of multiple Stanley Cup championships ! :) :) :)

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Blomfield – several responses and questions.

1. I appreciate you reference to the diving/cheap shot team. The question, who’s #1 off the “low dive – Nucks or Habs?”

2. I would agree if your projection was regarding a division championship next year, as I’d make them the favorites as well. And What changes are you aware of that would enable to get past a non-injury-ridden Hawks team?

3. As the Kings are a known physical team, why would you post a theme song that is rather, well, wimpish x e3rd? At least post something with some masuline aspect, such as “Warrior”

Common, think about it – would you rather say regarding your team “Wimp On!” or “Rock On!”

(aka “I’ll see your vid and raise you one”;)

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Forgot to post the actual link

• blomfeld - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Achtung Endusersolutions !

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” – Gen Eisenhower

Friend, allow me to respond to your questions accordingly …

1) the Vancouver Canucks, without a doubt !

2) Our LA Kings will now replace ‘Planet of the Apes’ hockey with Blitzkrieg !

3) Zig-zagging … never allow your enemy the chance to predict your next move !

executive summary: the LA Kings will be crowned yet again SC champions in 2013-14 !

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!! :) :) :) :)

3. rushledger - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If given the ice and Powerplay time TK can shine, wish him the best in San Jose!

4. lvshark22 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

As a Sharks fan, I am somewhat disappointed DW hasn’t done anything. I am strong believer that the Sharks need to retool and build this team around Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and Burns. I think we need to move Boyle and Thornton for some younger pieces. I also dont think we should trade Marleau. He has been a Shark his whole career, and is great for the community.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Noooooooooooo !

5. georgejarkko - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

It seems to me that every year the Western Conference Champions are the team that beats the Sharks. They’ve provided some of the best playoff series of the last 8 years or so. They seem to be legit contenders every year and I doubt this one will be an exception.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches