Aug 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The San Jose Sharks.
It’s funny what happens sometimes around the trade deadline. When the San Jose Sharks used the deadline to send Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray out of town, many thought they were just cashing in to get picks on soon-to-be free agents and not doing it to win more games.
Instead, that turned into a rallying point of sorts and the team rolled through the latter part of the season and into the playoffs. While they ultimately gave way to the Kings in seven games of the Western Conference semifinals, their loss this time around didn’t feel like the soul-crushing disappointments of the past. A loss to build on rather than nitpick? All things are possible.
Considering the Sharks did most of their summer business during the season, the offseason has been a relative bore. They traded T.J. Galiardi to Calgary and acquired Tyler Kennedy from Pittsburgh at the NHL Draft. In free agency, they only saw guys leaving town as Scott Gomez signed with Florida and retained three players: forwards Bracken Kearns and Raffi Torres and defenseman Scott Hannan.
The quiet summer doesn’t mean they didn’t spend money, though. Logan Couture was inked to a five-year, $30 million extension while Joe Pavelski signed an eerily similar deal to stay in San Jose. Those guys were due to get paid and boy did they ever.
There won’t be much in the way of new faces this season for the Sharks (2012 first-round pick Tomas Hertl and backup goalie Alex Stalock excepted) but after last season’s late resurgence it feels like a team breathing new life.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)