Aug 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EST
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The San Jose Sharks.
It’s funny what happens sometimes around the trade deadline. When the San Jose Sharks used the deadline to send Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray out of town, many thought they were just cashing in to get picks on soon-to-be free agents and not doing it to win more games.
Instead, that turned into a rallying point of sorts and the team rolled through the latter part of the season and into the playoffs. While they ultimately gave way to the Kings in seven games of the Western Conference semifinals, their loss this time around didn’t feel like the soul-crushing disappointments of the past. A loss to build on rather than nitpick? All things are possible.
Considering the Sharks did most of their summer business during the season, the offseason has been a relative bore. They traded T.J. Galiardi to Calgary and acquired Tyler Kennedy from Pittsburgh at the NHL Draft. In free agency, they only saw guys leaving town as Scott Gomez signed with Florida and retained three players: forwards Bracken Kearns and Raffi Torres and defenseman Scott Hannan.
The quiet summer doesn’t mean they didn’t spend money, though. Logan Couture was inked to a five-year, $30 million extension while Joe Pavelski signed an eerily similar deal to stay in San Jose. Those guys were due to get paid and boy did they ever.
There won’t be much in the way of new faces this season for the Sharks (2012 first-round pick Tomas Hertl and backup goalie Alex Stalock excepted) but after last season’s late resurgence it feels like a team breathing new life.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 6
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2