Aug 12, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks have hired former NHL netminder Steve Weeks as the team’s new goaltending coach.
Weeks will replace Stephane Waite, who left for Montreal this summer.
Most recently, Weeks was an assistant coach and goaltending specialist for the Atlanta Thrashers from 2001 to 2010.
“We are thrilled with the addition of Steve Weeks to our organization,” said Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman in a release. “He has over two decades of professional hockey experience and is a well-respected coach both on and off the ice.”
During his NHL player career, Weeks suited up for the New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers, Vancouver Canucks, New York Islanders, Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators.
“It’s an honor to join a championship caliber organization like the Chicago Blackhawks,” said Weeks. “I look forward to working with Corey (Crawford) and Nikolai (Khabibulin) and helping contribute to the continued success of this franchise.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)