Aug 12, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have hired former NHL netminder Steve Weeks as the team’s new goaltending coach.
Weeks will replace Stephane Waite, who left for Montreal this summer.
Most recently, Weeks was an assistant coach and goaltending specialist for the Atlanta Thrashers from 2001 to 2010.
“We are thrilled with the addition of Steve Weeks to our organization,” said Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman in a release. “He has over two decades of professional hockey experience and is a well-respected coach both on and off the ice.”
During his NHL player career, Weeks suited up for the New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers, Vancouver Canucks, New York Islanders, Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators.
“It’s an honor to join a championship caliber organization like the Chicago Blackhawks,” said Weeks. “I look forward to working with Corey (Crawford) and Nikolai (Khabibulin) and helping contribute to the continued success of this franchise.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)