Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
In an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, Melnyk claimed that Alfredsson’s initial contract demands took the Sens by surprise, as did the veteran forward’s request to spend more money on other areas of the roster.
“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team,’” said Melnyk. “It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
On Thursday, we may find out if Alfredsson accepts Melnyk’s side of the story, per the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
Suffice to say, it could be interesting if Alfie has a different take.
We’d also like to hear more on why he feels Detroit has a better shot at a Stanley Cup than Ottawa. Not because we disagree with him necessarily, but that’s the reason he gave for making the move to Motown.
Melnyk, not surprisingly, doesn’t agree with that notion.
“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (147)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)