Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
In an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, Melnyk claimed that Alfredsson’s initial contract demands took the Sens by surprise, as did the veteran forward’s request to spend more money on other areas of the roster.
“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team,’” said Melnyk. “It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
On Thursday, we may find out if Alfredsson accepts Melnyk’s side of the story, per the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
Suffice to say, it could be interesting if Alfie has a different take.
We’d also like to hear more on why he feels Detroit has a better shot at a Stanley Cup than Ottawa. Not because we disagree with him necessarily, but that’s the reason he gave for making the move to Motown.
Melnyk, not surprisingly, doesn’t agree with that notion.
“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 35
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (35)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)