Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
In an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, Melnyk claimed that Alfredsson’s initial contract demands took the Sens by surprise, as did the veteran forward’s request to spend more money on other areas of the roster.
“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team,’” said Melnyk. “It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
On Thursday, we may find out if Alfredsson accepts Melnyk’s side of the story, per the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
Suffice to say, it could be interesting if Alfie has a different take.
We’d also like to hear more on why he feels Detroit has a better shot at a Stanley Cup than Ottawa. Not because we disagree with him necessarily, but that’s the reason he gave for making the move to Motown.
Melnyk, not surprisingly, doesn’t agree with that notion.
“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)