Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 PM EST
In an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, Melnyk claimed that Alfredsson’s initial contract demands took the Sens by surprise, as did the veteran forward’s request to spend more money on other areas of the roster.
“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team,’” said Melnyk. “It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
On Thursday, we may find out if Alfredsson accepts Melnyk’s side of the story, per the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
Suffice to say, it could be interesting if Alfie has a different take.
We’d also like to hear more on why he feels Detroit has a better shot at a Stanley Cup than Ottawa. Not because we disagree with him necessarily, but that’s the reason he gave for making the move to Motown.
Melnyk, not surprisingly, doesn’t agree with that notion.
“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)