Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
In an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, Melnyk claimed that Alfredsson’s initial contract demands took the Sens by surprise, as did the veteran forward’s request to spend more money on other areas of the roster.
“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team,’” said Melnyk. “It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
On Thursday, we may find out if Alfredsson accepts Melnyk’s side of the story, per the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.
Suffice to say, it could be interesting if Alfie has a different take.
We’d also like to hear more on why he feels Detroit has a better shot at a Stanley Cup than Ottawa. Not because we disagree with him necessarily, but that’s the reason he gave for making the move to Motown.
Melnyk, not surprisingly, doesn’t agree with that notion.
“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)