Aug 11, 2013, 6:19 PM EST
Barring an injury, the Minnesota Wild can reasonably count on big offensive contributions from Zach Parise and Mikko Koivu in 2013-14. The bigger question is what they should expect from their younger forwards and among them, perhaps the biggest X-factor is 20-year-old Nino Niederreiter.
Niederreiter was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the New York Islanders, but despite his offensive upside and success in the AHL, he wasn’t able to secure a top-six spot with the Islanders and in the end, they traded him to Minnesota over the summer.
“I’m very excited to get a new start and a new opportunity,” Niederreiter told the Wild’s website. “Scoring goals and making the right play in the right situation, that’s kind of my game. I’m a power forward and I’m going to bring that to the table.”
Wild GM Chuck Fletcher thinks that Niederreiter should be able to contribute at the NHL level in the “near future.”
It’s reasonable to assume that Niederreiter will be given a fair chance to win a roster spot with the Wild during training camp. That spot is far from secure, but it helps that Wild coach Mike Yeo already seems very upbeat about Niederreiter.
“I know things didn’t go right for him [with the Islanders], but you can see a lot of things that get you excited as a coach,” Yeo said. “His size, his skating ability, his puck strength and puck-moving ability … I think he’s a guy that’s going to help us play the type of game that we want to play.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)