Aug 11, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
St. Louis Blues owner Tom Stillman has been spending plenty of money this summer to retain key restricted free agents. He’ll have to spend even more to keep Alex Pietrangelo around as well, but that doesn’t bother him one bit.
The Blues haven’t been a spend-heavy team in a while, but Stillman tells Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he’s OK with the money because of what it’ll bring.
“When we purchased the Blues a little over a year ago, we said that our plan was to straighten out the business side and put a strong, competitive, contending team on the ice,” Stillman said. “In my view, all we’re doing here is following through on what we said we would do. We’ve invested more heavily in the team itself, and we’re doing that because we want to win. We also think that is a smart investment because that is what’s going to make the franchise stable and sustainable as a business.”
Attendance has been a bit of a problem in recent years for the Blues thanks to issues with their ownership holding things down.
Now if they can just get Pietrangelo’s deal done everyone can get ready for the regular season.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)