Aug 11, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz had a tricky transition last season. Going from playing a college season at the University of Wisconsin to being thrust into a lockout season that saw him split time between the AHL and NHL made for a busy year.
As he tells Con Grikowsky of the Edmonton Sun, Schultz may have just run out of gas last season.
“At times, I was feeling fatigued because I wasn’t used to that many games,” said Schultz. “Overall, I think it was a good first year and I’m looking to improve on it.”
In the shortened season with the Oilers, he had 8 goals and 19 assists. With the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, however, he had 48 points in 34 games including 18 goals. For an 82-game season, that’s 75 points worth of production for a guy in his first professional season. That’s, uh, pretty good.
With everyone in Edmonton being another year older and experienced next season, Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson and Montreal’s P.K. Subban may have another young blue liner chasing them in the defensive points race.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)