Aug 11, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz had a tricky transition last season. Going from playing a college season at the University of Wisconsin to being thrust into a lockout season that saw him split time between the AHL and NHL made for a busy year.
As he tells Con Grikowsky of the Edmonton Sun, Schultz may have just run out of gas last season.
“At times, I was feeling fatigued because I wasn’t used to that many games,” said Schultz. “Overall, I think it was a good first year and I’m looking to improve on it.”
In the shortened season with the Oilers, he had 8 goals and 19 assists. With the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, however, he had 48 points in 34 games including 18 goals. For an 82-game season, that’s 75 points worth of production for a guy in his first professional season. That’s, uh, pretty good.
With everyone in Edmonton being another year older and experienced next season, Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson and Montreal’s P.K. Subban may have another young blue liner chasing them in the defensive points race.
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 7
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)