Aug 11, 2013, 9:27 AM EST
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Phoenix Coyotes.
For the first time in four years, talking about the Coyotes over the summer doesn’t necessitate talk about whether or not the team is going to stay in Glendale, Arizona. After all that time, IceArizona led by George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc bought the team from the NHL and now they can all focus on the game on the ice. Thankfully.
Last season, the team had a huge letdown failing to make the playoffs. Coming off a season where they made it to the Western Conference finals, that makes for quite a step backwards. GM Don Maloney stayed vigilant in the offseason, however, as he looks to get the Coyotes back in a position to win a Stanley Cup.
The Coyotes summer was mostly spent on spending cash to lock guys into staying in Arizona. Goalie Mike Smith signed a lucrative six-year contract. Defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson inked a six-year deal of his own. Throw in free agent pickup Mike Ribeiro and his juicy four-year deal and you can’t accuse the Coyotes of not spending money.
Of course, deals like that will raise questions. Did they give Smith too much money based on one excellent season two years ago? Is Ribeiro the answer for them at center? Will Ekman-Larsson finally grab everyone by the face and make them see how excellent he is? If anything, the biggest question for coach Dave Tippett is: Is it all enough?
The Coyotes still have some questions surrounding their roster heading into next season, but at the very least wondering if they’ll be in Arizona next season isn’t one of them.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)