Aug 11, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
With all of 57 games worth of NHL experience, Braden Holtby was invited to join Team Canada’s orientation camp later this month. At the age of 23, he’s also the youngest of the five netminders that were selected.
“It’s a little weird, me being the young guy,” said Holtby, according to CSN Washington. “I probably have the least amount of Hockey Canada experience out of anyone. It’ll be an eye-opener.”
Holtby represented Canada in the under-18 world championships in 2006-07 and participated in a single game during that tournament. That covers his international experience.
Canada will have three goaltenders on their active roster and the other invites include 2013 Stanley Cup winner Corey Crawford, 2010 gold medalist Roberto Luongo, as well as Carey Price and Mike Smith. In addition to that, someone not invited to the camp might end up making the squad.
Even still, Holtby’s chances of making the team shouldn’t be completely dismissed. He had a great run in the 2012 playoffs and while he struggled initially in 2013, he turned things around pretty quickly and played a big part in the Capitals rocketing into the 2013 postseason as the Southeast Division winners.
More to the point, Team Canada doesn’t have obvious choices between the pipes, so a big determining factor could be how each goaltender performs in the early portion of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)