Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Now that Jim Nill has left the Detroit Red Wings front office to take over as the Dallas Stars’ general manager, the Detroit Red Wings have been forced to make some adjustments. One of the benefactors of that is assistant GM Ryan Martin, who will see his responsibilities grow, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Martin had been helping the team’s management of the salary cap, but now he’ll also be in charge of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. That puts him in a key position to help develop the team’s promising players.
He has plenty of experience scouting and went to USA Hockey’s evaluation camp at Lake Placid, which will help determine Team USA’s roster for the upcoming world junior championships.
“He’s been giving them some evaluations on the fringes,” said Red Wings GM Ken Holland. “He’s not part of any committee or something. They’ve asked him for player assessments around our area. He went to Lake Placid last year and this year it happens that Canada is there with the U.S., Sweden and Finland. These are things that Ryan was doing in the past.
“It’s an opportunity for him to watch four countries. Most of those players are drafted. It’s an opportunity for him to build relationships and gather information.”
Martin has spent eight seasons with the Red Wings.
(Image courtesy RedWings.nhl.com)
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)