Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Now that Jim Nill has left the Detroit Red Wings front office to take over as the Dallas Stars’ general manager, the Detroit Red Wings have been forced to make some adjustments. One of the benefactors of that is assistant GM Ryan Martin, who will see his responsibilities grow, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Martin had been helping the team’s management of the salary cap, but now he’ll also be in charge of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. That puts him in a key position to help develop the team’s promising players.
He has plenty of experience scouting and went to USA Hockey’s evaluation camp at Lake Placid, which will help determine Team USA’s roster for the upcoming world junior championships.
“He’s been giving them some evaluations on the fringes,” said Red Wings GM Ken Holland. “He’s not part of any committee or something. They’ve asked him for player assessments around our area. He went to Lake Placid last year and this year it happens that Canada is there with the U.S., Sweden and Finland. These are things that Ryan was doing in the past.
“It’s an opportunity for him to watch four countries. Most of those players are drafted. It’s an opportunity for him to build relationships and gather information.”
Martin has spent eight seasons with the Red Wings.
(Image courtesy RedWings.nhl.com)
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)