Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Now that Jim Nill has left the Detroit Red Wings front office to take over as the Dallas Stars’ general manager, the Detroit Red Wings have been forced to make some adjustments. One of the benefactors of that is assistant GM Ryan Martin, who will see his responsibilities grow, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Martin had been helping the team’s management of the salary cap, but now he’ll also be in charge of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. That puts him in a key position to help develop the team’s promising players.
He has plenty of experience scouting and went to USA Hockey’s evaluation camp at Lake Placid, which will help determine Team USA’s roster for the upcoming world junior championships.
“He’s been giving them some evaluations on the fringes,” said Red Wings GM Ken Holland. “He’s not part of any committee or something. They’ve asked him for player assessments around our area. He went to Lake Placid last year and this year it happens that Canada is there with the U.S., Sweden and Finland. These are things that Ryan was doing in the past.
“It’s an opportunity for him to watch four countries. Most of those players are drafted. It’s an opportunity for him to build relationships and gather information.”
Martin has spent eight seasons with the Red Wings.
(Image courtesy RedWings.nhl.com)
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)