Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Now that Jim Nill has left the Detroit Red Wings front office to take over as the Dallas Stars’ general manager, the Detroit Red Wings have been forced to make some adjustments. One of the benefactors of that is assistant GM Ryan Martin, who will see his responsibilities grow, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Martin had been helping the team’s management of the salary cap, but now he’ll also be in charge of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. That puts him in a key position to help develop the team’s promising players.
He has plenty of experience scouting and went to USA Hockey’s evaluation camp at Lake Placid, which will help determine Team USA’s roster for the upcoming world junior championships.
“He’s been giving them some evaluations on the fringes,” said Red Wings GM Ken Holland. “He’s not part of any committee or something. They’ve asked him for player assessments around our area. He went to Lake Placid last year and this year it happens that Canada is there with the U.S., Sweden and Finland. These are things that Ryan was doing in the past.
“It’s an opportunity for him to watch four countries. Most of those players are drafted. It’s an opportunity for him to build relationships and gather information.”
Martin has spent eight seasons with the Red Wings.
(Image courtesy RedWings.nhl.com)
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)