Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Now that Jim Nill has left the Detroit Red Wings front office to take over as the Dallas Stars’ general manager, the Detroit Red Wings have been forced to make some adjustments. One of the benefactors of that is assistant GM Ryan Martin, who will see his responsibilities grow, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Martin had been helping the team’s management of the salary cap, but now he’ll also be in charge of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins. That puts him in a key position to help develop the team’s promising players.
He has plenty of experience scouting and went to USA Hockey’s evaluation camp at Lake Placid, which will help determine Team USA’s roster for the upcoming world junior championships.
“He’s been giving them some evaluations on the fringes,” said Red Wings GM Ken Holland. “He’s not part of any committee or something. They’ve asked him for player assessments around our area. He went to Lake Placid last year and this year it happens that Canada is there with the U.S., Sweden and Finland. These are things that Ryan was doing in the past.
“It’s an opportunity for him to watch four countries. Most of those players are drafted. It’s an opportunity for him to build relationships and gather information.”
Martin has spent eight seasons with the Red Wings.
(Image courtesy RedWings.nhl.com)
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 12
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 41
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)