Aug 10, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
For some, that snub would be debilitating. It appears that Benn confirms new Stars coach Lindy Ruff’s suspicion that he’ll use it as a motivator, instead.
The 24-year-old said as much to the Times Colonist on Wednesday.
“It’s obviously their decision,” Benn said. “But it’s given me the fire for the start of the [NHL] season. I want to be on that Olympic team. I’m going to have to go out in the first half of the season and make them want to pick me. I’m just going to have to have the best first half of the year I can have and make an impact for the Dallas Stars.”
Benn admits that he doesn’t understand why he wasn’t invited, but he made it clear why he wants to force Team Canada to include him on the 2014 Olympic roster.
“It’s a totally different experience [than in club play] when you put on a national team jersey,” Benn said. “It’s a pretty special feeling to be representing your country.”
Making sweet music with newly acquired forward Tyler Seguin certainly wouldn’t hurt his chances.
(H/T to the Dallas Morning News.)
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)