Aug 10, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
For some, that snub would be debilitating. It appears that Benn confirms new Stars coach Lindy Ruff’s suspicion that he’ll use it as a motivator, instead.
The 24-year-old said as much to the Times Colonist on Wednesday.
“It’s obviously their decision,” Benn said. “But it’s given me the fire for the start of the [NHL] season. I want to be on that Olympic team. I’m going to have to go out in the first half of the season and make them want to pick me. I’m just going to have to have the best first half of the year I can have and make an impact for the Dallas Stars.”
Benn admits that he doesn’t understand why he wasn’t invited, but he made it clear why he wants to force Team Canada to include him on the 2014 Olympic roster.
“It’s a totally different experience [than in club play] when you put on a national team jersey,” Benn said. “It’s a pretty special feeling to be representing your country.”
Making sweet music with newly acquired forward Tyler Seguin certainly wouldn’t hurt his chances.
(H/T to the Dallas Morning News.)
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9