Aug 10, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
For some, that snub would be debilitating. It appears that Benn confirms new Stars coach Lindy Ruff’s suspicion that he’ll use it as a motivator, instead.
The 24-year-old said as much to the Times Colonist on Wednesday.
“It’s obviously their decision,” Benn said. “But it’s given me the fire for the start of the [NHL] season. I want to be on that Olympic team. I’m going to have to go out in the first half of the season and make them want to pick me. I’m just going to have to have the best first half of the year I can have and make an impact for the Dallas Stars.”
Benn admits that he doesn’t understand why he wasn’t invited, but he made it clear why he wants to force Team Canada to include him on the 2014 Olympic roster.
“It’s a totally different experience [than in club play] when you put on a national team jersey,” Benn said. “It’s a pretty special feeling to be representing your country.”
Making sweet music with newly acquired forward Tyler Seguin certainly wouldn’t hurt his chances.
(H/T to the Dallas Morning News.)
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)