Aug 10, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues coach Ken Hitchcock provided rave reviews for new Edmonton Oilers bench boss Dallas Eakins on Friday, the Edmonton Journal reports.
“That was the most important move (GM) Craig MacTavish made this summer,” Hitchcock said.
Hitchcock seems particularly impressed by Eakins’ no-nonsense approach.
“He’ll talk your ear off about conditioning but it’s a smokescreen,” Hitchcock said. “He’s going to demand things of the Oiler players they’ve never done before and they’re going to find it quite difficult. Quite frankly some of the players are out of the barn but he’ll gather them all back in. He’s going to say things that make the players squeamish but he’s going to be one of the best things you’ve had there. He’s tough.”
“It’s not about getting past the original effort, it’s getting into the second and third effort. He knows how to push that.”
Unfortunately, the veteran coach didn’t name specific players who are “out of the barn,” so feel free to kill a sleepy Saturday by speculating on who that might be.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)