Aug 10, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Improved health is a big bullet point for those who believe that the Ottawa Senators might just take a step up from what seemed like an overachieving 2013 season. Getting both Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza back to full strength is key, so it’s great to hear that Spezza is recovering nicely from knee surgery.
That’s what he told the Ottawa Sun on Wednesday, at least.
He said that the late-May surgery required four or five weeks of rehab, but that it didn’t really hold him back that much in his offseason training regimen.
” … No problem. A pain more than anything,” Spezza said. “My back has been really good. It was nice for me to play those games in the playoffs even though I wasn’t 100 percent. To play, helped me get confidence going into my training. I’ve been training really hard here all summer. It has responded pretty well. I’m pretty enthused with how it feels right now.”
The 30-year-old is also very “enthused” about helping new acquisition Bobby Ryan get the best out of his considerable abilities.
“He’s very excited and we’re excited to have him on our team,” Spezza said. “Maybe he felt like he was the odd man out there in Anaheim and he’s going to have a chance to be the go-to guy here. To have a guy of his talent, and he’s scored a lot of goals in his career, bodes well for our team.”
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)