Aug 10, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Improved health is a big bullet point for those who believe that the Ottawa Senators might just take a step up from what seemed like an overachieving 2013 season. Getting both Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza back to full strength is key, so it’s great to hear that Spezza is recovering nicely from knee surgery.
That’s what he told the Ottawa Sun on Wednesday, at least.
He said that the late-May surgery required four or five weeks of rehab, but that it didn’t really hold him back that much in his offseason training regimen.
” … No problem. A pain more than anything,” Spezza said. “My back has been really good. It was nice for me to play those games in the playoffs even though I wasn’t 100 percent. To play, helped me get confidence going into my training. I’ve been training really hard here all summer. It has responded pretty well. I’m pretty enthused with how it feels right now.”
The 30-year-old is also very “enthused” about helping new acquisition Bobby Ryan get the best out of his considerable abilities.
“He’s very excited and we’re excited to have him on our team,” Spezza said. “Maybe he felt like he was the odd man out there in Anaheim and he’s going to have a chance to be the go-to guy here. To have a guy of his talent, and he’s scored a lot of goals in his career, bodes well for our team.”
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)