Aug 10, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Improved health is a big bullet point for those who believe that the Ottawa Senators might just take a step up from what seemed like an overachieving 2013 season. Getting both Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza back to full strength is key, so it’s great to hear that Spezza is recovering nicely from knee surgery.
That’s what he told the Ottawa Sun on Wednesday, at least.
He said that the late-May surgery required four or five weeks of rehab, but that it didn’t really hold him back that much in his offseason training regimen.
” … No problem. A pain more than anything,” Spezza said. “My back has been really good. It was nice for me to play those games in the playoffs even though I wasn’t 100 percent. To play, helped me get confidence going into my training. I’ve been training really hard here all summer. It has responded pretty well. I’m pretty enthused with how it feels right now.”
The 30-year-old is also very “enthused” about helping new acquisition Bobby Ryan get the best out of his considerable abilities.
“He’s very excited and we’re excited to have him on our team,” Spezza said. “Maybe he felt like he was the odd man out there in Anaheim and he’s going to have a chance to be the go-to guy here. To have a guy of his talent, and he’s scored a lot of goals in his career, bodes well for our team.”
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)