Aug 10, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
When you look at Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau, it’s tough not to grin.
Unfortunately, his expressive, amusing personality might obscure the fact that he’s put together an impressive run in his still fairly brief NHL coaching career. Considering the Ducks’ surprising run to the 2013 Pacific Division title and his track record of success – at least in the regular season – one must ask: is he one of the league’s best bench bosses?
A good barometer
The 2013-14 season could be a great test for that question, for one thing. Despite coming into what is technically his third campaign with Anaheim, it will mark a few firsts. It will be his first chance to coach the team for a full 82 games. Considering the lockout and taking over the team in the middle of the 2011-12 season, this will mark Boudreau’s first chance to run a traditional training camp.
It’s also well-documented that many stats bloggers believed that the Ducks’ 2013 successes was fluky.
Impressive results mixed with postseason disappointments
Even so, it’s tough to deny that success has followed Boudreau around.
In 435 games coached between the Ducks and Washington Capitals, Boudreau has compiled a 258-123-54 record and five division titles. Hockey reference places his points percentage at .655, which ranks just behind Dan Bylsma (.671) while besting a varied group of coaches that include Mike Babcock (.635), Ken Hitchcock (.596) and 2013 Jack Adams winner Paul MacLean (.566).
Again, he’s still relatively new to the gig compared to guys like Babcock and Hitchcock, but it’s worth noting that he’s had such a distinguished start.
Naturally, many focus on the way he finishes, instead. Despite those five division title runs, Boudreau’s teams haven’t gotten to a conference final series yet.
For many, the ice-cream loving coach won’t be named among the best until he wins bigger games.
Who knows when – or if – he’ll make a deep playoff run, but one thing seems certain: it’ll be fun to watch him try.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 15
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 32
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)