Aug 10, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
When you look at Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau, it’s tough not to grin.
Unfortunately, his expressive, amusing personality might obscure the fact that he’s put together an impressive run in his still fairly brief NHL coaching career. Considering the Ducks’ surprising run to the 2013 Pacific Division title and his track record of success – at least in the regular season – one must ask: is he one of the league’s best bench bosses?
A good barometer
The 2013-14 season could be a great test for that question, for one thing. Despite coming into what is technically his third campaign with Anaheim, it will mark a few firsts. It will be his first chance to coach the team for a full 82 games. Considering the lockout and taking over the team in the middle of the 2011-12 season, this will mark Boudreau’s first chance to run a traditional training camp.
It’s also well-documented that many stats bloggers believed that the Ducks’ 2013 successes was fluky.
Impressive results mixed with postseason disappointments
Even so, it’s tough to deny that success has followed Boudreau around.
In 435 games coached between the Ducks and Washington Capitals, Boudreau has compiled a 258-123-54 record and five division titles. Hockey reference places his points percentage at .655, which ranks just behind Dan Bylsma (.671) while besting a varied group of coaches that include Mike Babcock (.635), Ken Hitchcock (.596) and 2013 Jack Adams winner Paul MacLean (.566).
Again, he’s still relatively new to the gig compared to guys like Babcock and Hitchcock, but it’s worth noting that he’s had such a distinguished start.
Naturally, many focus on the way he finishes, instead. Despite those five division title runs, Boudreau’s teams haven’t gotten to a conference final series yet.
For many, the ice-cream loving coach won’t be named among the best until he wins bigger games.
Who knows when – or if – he’ll make a deep playoff run, but one thing seems certain: it’ll be fun to watch him try.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)