Aug 10, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
When you look at Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau, it’s tough not to grin.
Unfortunately, his expressive, amusing personality might obscure the fact that he’s put together an impressive run in his still fairly brief NHL coaching career. Considering the Ducks’ surprising run to the 2013 Pacific Division title and his track record of success – at least in the regular season – one must ask: is he one of the league’s best bench bosses?
A good barometer
The 2013-14 season could be a great test for that question, for one thing. Despite coming into what is technically his third campaign with Anaheim, it will mark a few firsts. It will be his first chance to coach the team for a full 82 games. Considering the lockout and taking over the team in the middle of the 2011-12 season, this will mark Boudreau’s first chance to run a traditional training camp.
It’s also well-documented that many stats bloggers believed that the Ducks’ 2013 successes was fluky.
Impressive results mixed with postseason disappointments
Even so, it’s tough to deny that success has followed Boudreau around.
In 435 games coached between the Ducks and Washington Capitals, Boudreau has compiled a 258-123-54 record and five division titles. Hockey reference places his points percentage at .655, which ranks just behind Dan Bylsma (.671) while besting a varied group of coaches that include Mike Babcock (.635), Ken Hitchcock (.596) and 2013 Jack Adams winner Paul MacLean (.566).
Again, he’s still relatively new to the gig compared to guys like Babcock and Hitchcock, but it’s worth noting that he’s had such a distinguished start.
Naturally, many focus on the way he finishes, instead. Despite those five division title runs, Boudreau’s teams haven’t gotten to a conference final series yet.
For many, the ice-cream loving coach won’t be named among the best until he wins bigger games.
Who knows when – or if – he’ll make a deep playoff run, but one thing seems certain: it’ll be fun to watch him try.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)