Aug 10, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
About four years ago, the Ottawa Senators were forced to trade Dany Heatley, but not before begrudgingly handing him a $4 million roster bonus after he nixed a trade (despite demanding a departure from Ottawa). The Senators filed a grievance regarding that reward, and it appears that they’ll finally settle the matter soon, according to an Ottawa Citizen report on Friday.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
The Citizen reports that it’s unlikely much “money will be changing hands.”
If nothing else, Melnyk indicates that the franchise learned a pricey lesson.
“I think part of the deal was it’s not disclosable, so I’d rather not say anything about it at this point,” he said. “But like I said, we had some legal obligations and it just, we got caught in a situation and I think that’s another lesson that was learned and won’t be repeated.”
Considering how much Heatley’s production has slowed at 32 and how well Milan Michalek has played, the whole situation might be a blessing in disguise – even if it was an expensive one up front.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)