Aug 10, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
About four years ago, the Ottawa Senators were forced to trade Dany Heatley, but not before begrudgingly handing him a $4 million roster bonus after he nixed a trade (despite demanding a departure from Ottawa). The Senators filed a grievance regarding that reward, and it appears that they’ll finally settle the matter soon, according to an Ottawa Citizen report on Friday.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
The Citizen reports that it’s unlikely much “money will be changing hands.”
If nothing else, Melnyk indicates that the franchise learned a pricey lesson.
“I think part of the deal was it’s not disclosable, so I’d rather not say anything about it at this point,” he said. “But like I said, we had some legal obligations and it just, we got caught in a situation and I think that’s another lesson that was learned and won’t be repeated.”
Considering how much Heatley’s production has slowed at 32 and how well Milan Michalek has played, the whole situation might be a blessing in disguise – even if it was an expensive one up front.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 41
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 100
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (100)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)