Aug 9, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
If a report from FOX 29’s Howard Eskin (Philadelphia) is accurate, the New Jersey Devils could have themselves a new owner very soon.
Eskin tweets that billionaire Joshua Harris, the managing owner of the NBA’s 76ers, has agreed on a purchase price to buy the Devils from current owner Jeff Vanderbeek. That purchase price would apparently cover Vanderbeek’s debt, which has been reported in the neighborhood of $230 million.
If Harris (and his investment group) do end up buying the Devils, it has to be considered good news for fans of the financially-troubled franchise. According to Forbes, Harris — the co-founder of private equity firm Apollo Global Management — is worth $2.1 billion.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)