Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
One of the more renowned defensive minds in hockey will be an assistant coach with a team that, frankly, could use him.
First reported by Louis Jean at TVA Sports, the defensive mind is Jacques Martin, and the team is the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I’m excited to be back in the NHL, especially with a team like the Penguins,” said Martin. “This is a great opportunity to win the Stanley Cup and be re-united with general manager Ray Shero.”
“Jacques is a highly respected and accomplished coach who will be a tremendous addition to our staff,” Shero said in a release. “He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization because of his extensive background as a head coach and an assistant.”
Martin, 60, and Shero were together in Ottawa during the ’90′s when the former was head coach and the latter an assistant GM of the Senators.
“I know we’re all going to benefit from having Jacques Martin on our staff,” Pens head coach Dan Bylsma said. “Jacques and I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks discussing this possibility. It will be great to have another voice, another perspective – especially from a man of Jacque’s experience. We’re all looking forward for getting together as a staff and preparing for the coming season.”
Martin won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year with Ottawa in 1999.
“I believe in a puck-possession game,” Martin said in 2009 upon being named head coach of the Montreal Canadiens. “I think the best defense is if you can play in the offensive zone.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)