Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
One of the more renowned defensive minds in hockey will be an assistant coach with a team that, frankly, could use him.
First reported by Louis Jean at TVA Sports, the defensive mind is Jacques Martin, and the team is the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I’m excited to be back in the NHL, especially with a team like the Penguins,” said Martin. “This is a great opportunity to win the Stanley Cup and be re-united with general manager Ray Shero.”
“Jacques is a highly respected and accomplished coach who will be a tremendous addition to our staff,” Shero said in a release. “He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization because of his extensive background as a head coach and an assistant.”
Martin, 60, and Shero were together in Ottawa during the ’90’s when the former was head coach and the latter an assistant GM of the Senators.
“I know we’re all going to benefit from having Jacques Martin on our staff,” Pens head coach Dan Bylsma said. “Jacques and I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks discussing this possibility. It will be great to have another voice, another perspective – especially from a man of Jacque’s experience. We’re all looking forward for getting together as a staff and preparing for the coming season.”
Martin won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year with Ottawa in 1999.
“I believe in a puck-possession game,” Martin said in 2009 upon being named head coach of the Montreal Canadiens. “I think the best defense is if you can play in the offensive zone.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)