Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
One of the more renowned defensive minds in hockey will be an assistant coach with a team that, frankly, could use him.
First reported by Louis Jean at TVA Sports, the defensive mind is Jacques Martin, and the team is the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I’m excited to be back in the NHL, especially with a team like the Penguins,” said Martin. “This is a great opportunity to win the Stanley Cup and be re-united with general manager Ray Shero.”
“Jacques is a highly respected and accomplished coach who will be a tremendous addition to our staff,” Shero said in a release. “He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization because of his extensive background as a head coach and an assistant.”
Martin, 60, and Shero were together in Ottawa during the ’90’s when the former was head coach and the latter an assistant GM of the Senators.
“I know we’re all going to benefit from having Jacques Martin on our staff,” Pens head coach Dan Bylsma said. “Jacques and I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks discussing this possibility. It will be great to have another voice, another perspective – especially from a man of Jacque’s experience. We’re all looking forward for getting together as a staff and preparing for the coming season.”
Martin won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year with Ottawa in 1999.
“I believe in a puck-possession game,” Martin said in 2009 upon being named head coach of the Montreal Canadiens. “I think the best defense is if you can play in the offensive zone.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)