Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
One of the more renowned defensive minds in hockey will be an assistant coach with a team that, frankly, could use him.
First reported by Louis Jean at TVA Sports, the defensive mind is Jacques Martin, and the team is the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I’m excited to be back in the NHL, especially with a team like the Penguins,” said Martin. “This is a great opportunity to win the Stanley Cup and be re-united with general manager Ray Shero.”
“Jacques is a highly respected and accomplished coach who will be a tremendous addition to our staff,” Shero said in a release. “He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization because of his extensive background as a head coach and an assistant.”
Martin, 60, and Shero were together in Ottawa during the ’90’s when the former was head coach and the latter an assistant GM of the Senators.
“I know we’re all going to benefit from having Jacques Martin on our staff,” Pens head coach Dan Bylsma said. “Jacques and I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks discussing this possibility. It will be great to have another voice, another perspective – especially from a man of Jacque’s experience. We’re all looking forward for getting together as a staff and preparing for the coming season.”
Martin won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year with Ottawa in 1999.
“I believe in a puck-possession game,” Martin said in 2009 upon being named head coach of the Montreal Canadiens. “I think the best defense is if you can play in the offensive zone.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)