Aug 9, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
The prospect of working with a young defenseman like Kris Letang is an enticing one for Jacques Martin.
On Friday, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Martin as the team’s new assistant coach, thus giving him an opportunity to soon work with the smooth-skating Letang.
Martin not only brings nearly 1,300 regular season games worth of experience as an NHL bench boss, but he is also one of the most reputable defensive minded coaches in the game.
This could be of benefit to the 26-year-old Letang, who already has great offensive instincts on the Penguins blue line, averaging more than a point per game during the 2013 regular season and playoffs, and is entering the prime of his career.
However, based on Martin’s comments, there are still parts of Letang’s game that need refining.
“From the outside, from coaching against him, there’s no doubt that he has tremendous vision, has tremendous offensive skill,” Martin told reporters.
“I think like many other young (defensemen) I think it’s moving without the puck, it’s improving, playing maybe more of a controlled game.
“I’m looking forward to that opportunity as well as the other great players on this team.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)