Aug 9, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
The prospect of working with a young defenseman like Kris Letang is an enticing one for Jacques Martin.
On Friday, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Martin as the team’s new assistant coach, thus giving him an opportunity to soon work with the smooth-skating Letang.
Martin not only brings nearly 1,300 regular season games worth of experience as an NHL bench boss, but he is also one of the most reputable defensive minded coaches in the game.
This could be of benefit to the 26-year-old Letang, who already has great offensive instincts on the Penguins blue line, averaging more than a point per game during the 2013 regular season and playoffs, and is entering the prime of his career.
However, based on Martin’s comments, there are still parts of Letang’s game that need refining.
“From the outside, from coaching against him, there’s no doubt that he has tremendous vision, has tremendous offensive skill,” Martin told reporters.
“I think like many other young (defensemen) I think it’s moving without the puck, it’s improving, playing maybe more of a controlled game.
“I’m looking forward to that opportunity as well as the other great players on this team.”
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 2
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 28
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)